Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I'm calling it black crested white, because that is pretty much what she is. Like the BCW polish, there is a some black in the white areas. I do not know if the genetics are the same as in polish (silver columbian plus melanizers), but the phenotype is pretty similar, and I suspect the genetics are at least close.

Love the coloring. What color will you cross with in order to produce more?

I'm calling it black crested white, because that is pretty much what she is. Like the BCW polish, there is a some black in the white areas. I do not know if the genetics are the same as in polish (silver columbian plus melanizers), but the phenotype is pretty similar, and I suspect the genetics are at least close.

That is a very pretty bird. Is her crest black or blue?

ETA: on my monitor it looks blue.

Last edited:
Quote: Probably a darker blue. Right now she is in a pen that has a black and a chocolate--but only because it is a cooler pen where I can keep an eye on her. When I start trying to replicate, I'll probably try using one of my columbian-looking birds. Problem is hte only ones with silkie feathers also have gold ground. There is at least one with silver ground, but he doesn't have silkie feathers.

Last edited:
Probably a darker blue. Right now she is in a pen that has a black and a chocolate--but only because it is a cooler pen where I can keep an eye on her. When I start trying to replicate, I'll probably try using one of my columbian-looking birds. Problem is hte only ones with silkie feathers also have gold ground. There is at least one with silver ground, but he doesn't have silkie feathers.
Oh I hope you get some more!

Probably a darker blue. Right now she is in a pen that has a black and a chocolate--but only because it is a cooler pen where I can keep an eye on her. When I start trying to replicate, I'll probably try using one of my columbian-looking birds. Problem is hte only ones with silkie feathers also have gold ground. There is at least one with silver ground, but he doesn't have silkie feathers.

Just never quite enough birds is there?
big_smile.png

I would love to watch your progress. She is a stunner for sure.

Here is my little sasquatch girl at four months. She's the most filled out of all my four month-olds.

And below is the sibling...same parents. Is that strange? I'm thinking girl but she is a month younger so not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom