Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

This are two of my two months old Silkies.The white one looks like a Punk :)

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

They look the fugliest when they are that age. Let them grow up and they are beautiful.

There is another thread for showing off your birds - join us over here too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/37230#post_11619161

I already love them. Since I am new to Silkies (these are my first one). I just wonder, if there are only the few standard colors white, paint, partridge, buff and splash?
I want start breeding my Silkie Hens to 1-2 Frizzle roosters and hope for some awesome colours.They maybe are not the standard then but maybe nice Showbirds too.

There is blue, black, lavender, grey, porcelain, red, columbian, and I have heard of chocolate as well. Some are recognized, some are not. This means that some can go further in show than others. The ones that are not recognized can be put in as AOV and make best of variety but cannt go any higher than that. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

This is a chick I bought from a girl when it was a day old. She had no idea what color it would be. I'm still pretty new to this but I was thinking it might be grey. It's also looking pretty girlie to me. Can any of you all help me out with its color and gender? Thanks so much.

This is a chick I bought from a girl when it was a day old. She had no idea what color it would be. I'm still pretty new to this but I was thinking it might be grey. It's also looking pretty girlie to me. Can any of you all help me out with its color and gender? Thanks so much.
I have a lavender thats 15wks old and about this size that I'm leaning towards being a pullet. It has the same shape crest as yours does - no comb/waddles forming. Does yours have a comb above it's beak yet or any small red/maroon waddles forming? How old is it?

I have a lavender thats 15wks old and about this size that I'm leaning towards being a pullet. It has the same shape crest as yours does - no comb/waddles forming. Does yours have a comb above it's beak yet or any small red/maroon waddles forming? How old is it? 

It's 13 weeks. No comb or wattles yet. It's definitely not a lavender. The colors on the picture aren't the best.

It's 13 weeks. No comb or wattles yet. It's definitely not a lavender. The colors on the picture aren't the best.
Oh no, I didn't mean that it looks like yours as far as color goes - just meant that one of my lavenders looks the same size/age and has the same shape crest as yours does - thats why I'm leaning towards pullet for mine. I don't know what color yours is. I'm still iffy on some of the coloring for silkies as well.

Oh no, I didn't mean that it looks like yours as far as color goes - just meant that one of my lavenders looks the same size/age and has the same shape crest as yours does - thats why I'm leaning towards pullet for mine. I don't know what color yours is. I'm still iffy on some of the coloring for silkies as well. 

Lol. Ok. Got it. Yes I'm definitely leaning towards pullet.

Back
Top Bottom