Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I may be picking up what I believe to be a porcelain (buffish color with blue under fluff) hen and dark blue / black roo. I know the whole BBS breeding pen, and have one set up. But my question is for the porcelain girl. What other color can I place her with to get expected results and not just mutt colors? I do have a few smutty buffs, whites and a BBS pen, but as far as other porcelains, I have none...

Porcelain should be bred to porcelain. Even then coloring can be all over the place. The only other color that can sometimes be successful is self-blue (lavender).

Porcelain should be bred to porcelain. Even then coloring can be all over the place. The only other color that can sometimes be successful is self-blue (lavender).
Wonderfull! I guess I'll have a house chicken... and bunny, and dogs (2) and cats (2) lol. I mainly want the roo, don't need any new colors right now... But if you get one you get both I guess. Thanks Peep!

I have a little chick that looks like it becoming cross beaked. Should I keep it for breeding or give it to a family as a pet? I wasn't sure if its hereditary or an incubation problem. Thanks for any input.

I have a little chick that looks like it becoming cross beaked. Should I keep it for breeding or give it to a family as a pet? I wasn't sure if its hereditary or an incubation problem. Thanks for any input.
I strongly recommend against breeding a cross-beaked bird, regardless of whether it was caused by injury or genetics.

That answers that! Thank you so much!

One of my four week olds has within the past week developed a a slight crossed beak, the bottom half has slightly shifted to the side. I didn't notice it until I picked it up and looked at it head on. I was wondering the same thing about breeding them, and now I have an answer. I have several people more than willing to have a fluffy pet, so although the chick may not be destined for the breeding pen, it has a great future still :)

I currently have chicks starting to hatch. My temp is 99 and the humidity is 60-62 I had a chick hatch out that was sticky which makes me wonder if there is a problem with the humidity. I really need these eggs to hatch. I hope someone here can advise me. I can remember reading once someone saying that silkies have to have a really high humidity. It just makes sense to me it the wet contents in the egg is sticky and not a nice liquid that there is not enough H or temp is too high?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom