Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

If done early enough, the rooster will not crow, and tends to not have aggressive roosterlike tendencies (no testosterone) which allows people in places that ban roosters to have one. It is mainly done with meat birds though, as capons grow larger and have more tender meat. I've wanted to try it with some of my excess LF cockerels but I've never gotten the nerve to. It's a rather risky procedure.

unless the person who does the caponizing knows what they are doing, yes it can be risky, she uses a local anestetic- some people don't do that- This is the only time i have lost a bird to it, the ones that i have had done are young cockerels and they become the bug control around here, the problem with Chester, i was wanting to be able to let him be part of the bantam flock without aggression- he had a tendancy to attack the guineas, which never turned out well, i had him with a couple hens and they were getting hurt- since i knew nothing about his background, i thought that would solve the problem other than keeping him isolated the rest his life. I am kicking myself now, thinking i should have just set him up in a serarate area.... I think unless it is a young bird, caponizing will not be an option- thanks for your insights

Hmm. My silkie rooster doesn't crow but he has been fertilizing my silkie hen's eggs.

This is him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom