Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hello!
So in my pen I currently have 1 red roo, 1 partridge pullet, 1 buff pullet and 2 white pullets. I was wondering what coloured offspring I can expect to get from them?

Red roo X partridge will produce?
Red roo X buff will produce?
Red roo X white pullet will produce?

All my birds are from pure lines! Hoping to get some nice colours! I have notice that there is very little information on these color crossings.. Wonder why?

Inform me Silkie peps!

Thanks!
White X anything else is always an unknown.

What about these combinations??

THanks!

Hello!
So in my pen I currently have 1 red roo, 1 partridge pullet, 1 buff pullet and 2 white pullets. I was wondering what coloured offspring I can expect to get from them?

Red roo X white pullet will produce?

All my birds are from pure lines! Hoping to get some nice colours! I have notice that there is very little information on these color crossings.. Wonder why?

Inform me Silkie peps!

Thanks!

What about these combinations??

THanks!
Red x partridge. Likely a partridge with too much red or a buff with a lot of black. Red x buff - various shades of buff. Many darker buffs look reddish. Your red may actually be a dark buff.

I know the middle toe needs to be feathered, but is there such a thing as too much feathering on the feet? Like on all five including the little thumb toe? Their feet are wet because they are playing in their wading pool here, but you can see they have feathers on all the toes. I'm sorry if this has been asked in the past but I have not been able to find any information about this subject.

I know the middle toe needs to be feathered, but is there such a thing as too much feathering on the feet? Like on all five including the little thumb toe? Their feet are wet because they are playing in their wading pool here, but you can see they have feathers on all the toes. I'm sorry if this has been asked in the past but I have not been able to find any information about this subject.

Most silkie breeders think it is awesome. The standard says it is not desirable as foot feathering tends to have too many hard feathers. It is awkward...what about tons of SOMFT SILKIED foot feathers? Not addressed. George Mihalk had a bird DQed becuase of too many foot feathers, He was not happy, and I thought it (the DQ) was ridiculous. I've never been overly impressed with that judge's poultry knowledge.

Thank you Sonoran.

So, are they plucked or is that "altering" their type? I do remember someone clipped a hard feather on the foot that was curling up the wrong way.

I have been pleased that I have been raising silkies that have good thick foot feathering and I personally like the look.
idunno.gif

This is Mellow my partridge silkie she is the first silkie I've ever had,I got her when she was about 5 weeks old now she is about 2-3 months old. Are her leg feathers too short and is this the right coloring for a partridge silkie? Is she actually a rooster? Feel free to critique away.

Are her tail feathers supposed to be like this?

right foot.

and the left foot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom