Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

We entered out little splash pullet into the Altamont Fair and we are hoping to enter her into a few upcoming shows here in the area. She is quite the little show off. We are hoping that she does well!

Wow beautiful!!! Do you breed? Is she one of yours or did you get her from another breeder? Im jealous! I want a beautiful splash pullet so bad!

The start of conditioning season is here!
lol.png
How are they looking? Got a pack N play to condition them, works great! Does Snowman look like he's growing into himself better now? Also, is Icelynn's crest okay? It isn't huge like some others but would it mean her losing out to ones with bigger crests?

Last edited:
Thank you
smile.png
Snowmiser says thank you too
wink.png
He is a pretty boy, but WHY is he in with that pretty girl? You need another box, and some bluing to use on his yellow spots .Wash that beard , and use a plastic pop bottle waterer. Put a red blob of nail polish in the bottom of the plastic bottom so he'll peck at it. Wet beards = stained beards !

He is a pretty boy, but WHY is he in with that pretty girl? You need another box, and some bluing to use on his yellow spots .Wash that beard , and use a plastic pop bottle waterer. Put a red blob of nail polish in the bottom of the plastic bottom so he'll peck at it. Wet beards = stained beards !
I could use a rabbit waterer, Icelynn has been trained to use one, i'm just worried Snow will be too... slow...
idunno.gif
Ice is his girlfriend, why should I seperate them? They don't peck at each other, unfortunately he doesn't understand the concept of "breeding" yet. I have been using bluing on them , and they just got a bath a couple days ago, but they were REALLY dirty. I'll have to give them a few more before they are perfect. The shows aren't until October and later though so there is some time. Oh and Fancy the bantam cochin was just "visiting". The little black tail in the pictures is their baby Marie, she's a 5 week old polish. She has to be in with them.

Last edited:
I could use a rabbit waterer, Icelynn has been trained to use one, i'm just worried Snow will be too... slow...
idunno.gif
Ice is his girlfriend, why should I seperate them? They don't peck at each other, unfortunately he doesn't understand the concept of "breeding" yet. I have been using bluing on them , and they just got a bath a couple days ago, but they were REALLY dirty. I'll have to give them a few more before they are perfect. The shows aren't until October and later though so there is some time. Oh and Fancy the bantam cochin was just "visiting". The little black tail in the pictures is their baby Marie, she's a 5 week old polish. She has to be in with them.
I don't like to separate them. They need that company. Chickens are flock creatures. If not in direct contact, should be at least able to see/hear their flock mates.

Unless you are my hen Margaret, who hates other chickens...

Our blue cockerel, Icarus, came in 1st in his class. Our little splash pullet, Olive, came in 2nd. (The judge said that he would like her wings to develop a little more.) She is young, 5 months or so, I am looking forward to the shows in the next few months to see how she develops and how she places. It's amazing to see how she has changed in the past few weeks.

I do have a question though about Icarus. I got a little beat up over his color. The judge felt that he was dark for a blue. He looks like a completely different bird in the sunlight vs. barn lighting.
Is he too dark? Same bird, different lighting. Comments are greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom