Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

wow!! I just looked at baby pics of that chicken and its the EXACT SAME WINGS!!! sooooo how is that POSSIBLE?? I am so confused. Haha! She has only been with white and buff silkies for almost 2 months now, so Idk what's happening. What do u think?? Here is a closer pic of her wing too.

It takes almost a month for eggs to hatch, and if you bought her 2 months ago its a possibility that there was some "leftovers" from the roo she was with before. I've heard it can take at least 3 weeks or more, maybe longer

Okay so color genetics question, Sonoran???
My sizzle chicks have hatched! two that look like paints and one black. Now, mom is supposably a dominant white, that is what Aoxa said. She is all white with little black specks, as chick she was yellow white with a big black spot on her back. Dad is black with gold laced hackles and saddle. The two "painted" ones are white with small black spots all over. Are these dominant whites or paints? Also, could I have sex linking going on here? Pictures soon, I had to wipe them down a little so they are drying before picture time
big_smile.png

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3
Paint is dominant white--either an allele of it or the dom. white allele. My speculation is that paints with more black are het. for dom white; those with less or no spotting are more likely to be hom. Any time you breed a het. bird, abut half its offspring will inherit one allele and the other half the other. So, your first two chicks inherited dom white (I/i+) and are paint, and your third did not (i+/i+). I wrote the genetic code for plain dom. white. If a separate allele, it could be written as (I^P/i+)

And no sex-linking.

It takes almost a month for eggs to hatch, and if you bought her 2 months ago its a possibility that there was some "leftovers" from the roo she was with before. I've heard it can take at least 3 weeks or more, maybe longer

Well I'm guessing somehow she was introduced to some different boys before I bought her then. I'm still excited about what they will turn out like. But I contacted the lady I bought her from and she said the only other roosters that were with her was the white silkie and a MILLE FLEUR MIX? maybe that's it? Haha I have no idea. I really appreciate all the answers and help!! Still have babies due to hatch!! Yay!

Paint is dominant white--either an allele of it or the dom. white allele. My speculation is that paints with more black are het. for dom white; those with less or no spotting are more likely to be hom. Any time you breed a het. bird, abut half its offspring will inherit one allele and the other half the other. So, your first two chicks inherited dom white (I/i+) and are paint, and your third did not (i+/i+). I wrote the genetic code for plain dom. white. If a separate allele, it could be written as (I^P/i+)

And no sex-linking.
Awesome thank you! I was under the imperssion by the way Aoxa put it they were two different things. That will be awesome, paint sizzles! I will be selling these 3, unless the black ends up being a girl.

opinions? Icelynn got a little bit of a haircut from Jack Frost
he.gif
Should I pull out the feathers that were chomped on? First show will be the Deerfield fair the last week of September so I don't think the feathers would grow back by then. I could always wait and put her in the next show which is the second saturday in october.

Icelynn

Cindy Lou Who

Bumble

opinions? Icelynn got a little bit of a haircut from Jack Frost
he.gif
Should I pull out the feathers that were chomped on? First show will be the Deerfield fair the last week of September so I don't think the feathers would grow back by then. I could always wait and put her in the next show which is the second saturday in october.

Icelynn

Cindy Lou Who

Bumble

Icelynn looks lovely. I LOVE the white on white photos!

Thank you
smile.png
from the top Icelynn's crest looks like there was a big chunk taken out
lol.png
My new rooster Jack Frost was a bit over zealous. Maybe I will just leave it and hope it isn't too noticeable by showtime. Do you have any suggestions on flushing a clogged tear duct? Her left tear duct is clogged, i've tried everything. I just tried flushing with saline solution and tried massaging it out but nothing
hmm.png

Thank you
smile.png
from the top Icelynn's crest looks like there was a big chunk taken out
lol.png
My new rooster Jack Frost was a bit over zealous. Maybe I will just leave it and hope it isn't too noticeable by showtime. Do you have any suggestions on flushing a clogged tear duct? Her left tear duct is clogged, i've tried everything. I just tried flushing with saline solution and tried massaging it out but nothing
hmm.png
1 tsp of VetRx to one cup of very warm water..use a Q Tip.
Tuck the chicken under your arm and tip them over so the cleft is visable on the roof of the mouth. Dip the Qtip in the solution and apply to the cleft. Let them rest..
Do this a few times a day until the eyes drain and flush.

It might drain from the nose, eyes and mouth and that is normal. I hope it works for you!!

Back
Top Bottom