Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Getting ready for show. They didn't like the bath too much, but they all loved the blow dry!!!
smile.png

Didn't get a dry picture of this partridge girl. I took two but they were blurry because of her flapping and flopping around. (this should have been my first clue)
duc.gif

Show Time (our row)!

I took four of my girls.

My partridge girl sulked most of the day. I could not get a decent picture of her. She was definitely my problem child. She didn't want to eat or drink because she didn't like the plastic cups - just an all around DIVA!

This one decided she needed to lay an egg!

The other three girls were angels compared to Miss Diva. (here's another shot of the light gray)

At one point it was 107 degrees in the poultry barn so they released us two hours early. We were all panting! All in all we had a good day - stressful and tiring, but fun!
th.gif
The girls got Best of Variety (3) and Reserve of Variety (1).
Good grief ! That's too hot for Silkies. Next time, take your own cups and water bottles with YOUR water.

Good grief ! That's too hot for Silkies. Next time, take your own cups and water bottles with YOUR water.
It was too hot for everything!!! That was inside with fans on also. The hottest part of the day is around 5 or 6 in the evening, which 5 was supposed to be our earliest release time. Who knows how hot the barn was at that time. We checked out as soon as we could which was 2:45 - 3:00.

I did bring my own cups and water Dragon Lady. What I brought and what the barn supplied wasn't her waterer from home. That is the only thing I could think of. The other girls drank and ate just fine. I used your kitty litter hint, by the way, and it worked great!

It was too hot for everything!!! That was inside with fans on also. The hottest part of the day is around 5 or 6 in the evening, which 5 was supposed to be our earliest release time. Who knows how hot the barn was at that time. We checked out as soon as we could which was 2:45 - 3:00.

I did bring my own cups and water Dragon Lady. What I brought and what the barn supplied wasn't her waterer from home. That is the only thing I could think of. The other girls drank and ate just fine. I used your kitty litter hint, by the way, and it worked great!
I'm glad the kitty litter worked for you ! Now get some small plastic pop bottles and plastic bottoms for your crew. Silkies do not like change , especially at a show.You can find very small little bungi cords to attach the bottles with. Beats breaking all your nails.

I"m so sorry you have lost a HRIR pullet and now this pretty one. What happened? It's hard enough to lose one but two in a row is truly heart breaking.

:(

I've also lost like 8 chicks. We have gotten so much rain this summer at one time and it's been getting them sick and they have been dying. We have been trying our best to shorten the rain in the pen, but it just keeps getting in there.

Last edited:
I've also lost like 8 chicks. We have gotten so much rain this summer at one time and it's been getting them sick and they have been dying. We have been trying our best to shorten the rain in the pen, but it just keeps getting in there.

Can you make them a false floor, or a deck, to keep them up out of the wet? Even something simple like pallets covered with sheets of plywood, maybe up on cinder blocks, might help. I have not had this problem except once in a run that flooded twice in a week when the monsoons hit, and I just dumped a bale of shavings in there, but here things tend to dry up pretty fast, unlike where you are. Sorry you are dealing with this, very sad.

Can you make them a false floor, or a deck, to keep them up out of the wet?  Even something simple like pallets covered with sheets of plywood, maybe up on cinder blocks, might help.  I have not had this problem except once in a run that flooded twice in a week when the monsoons hit, and I just dumped a bale of shavings in there, but here things tend to dry up pretty fast, unlike where you are.  Sorry you are dealing with this, very sad.

We are going to cover the whole entire pen with a tin roof.

Back
Top Bottom