Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

This pullet hatched from a Porcelain egg, I have not seen enough pictures of Porcelain to know how she measures up so I am seeking some input. First pic she has another pullets tail behind her looking as if it's her giant tail :)

To me she looks like a dilute Buff. Hatched 2/10/13. Picture taken last Sunday.

She looks like a Porcelain! It's a work in progress color so everyone has different ideas of what they want to achieve. I like the ones that have a little more lavender in their crest, personally. :)

She looks like a Porcelain! It's a work in progress color so everyone has different ideas of what they want to achieve. I like the ones that have a little more lavender in their crest, personally.
smile.png
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that :) I have a VERY small flock, she was the only Porcelain to hatch, and the cockerels I have are a Black from a Lavender pen and a Splash, their (really poor quality) pics are below. The pullets I have besides her are the one behind her in the second pic, unrelated, from a Partridge breeding (I will have to ask the breeder whether both parents are Partridge), and a Splash from the same breeder as the Partridge. I initially got Silkies strictly as a broody flock, but I am madly in love with them, I just adore their personalities. The last pic is of them with the RIR juveniles, the Splash pullet is in that and the pic of the Black cockerel. It has been very hot here the last week or so, it was probably over 90 when I took these pictures, so wing carriage may not be representative.

Well got home and my last adult silkie female kicked the can. It looks like she got choked or something. Her vent looks weird. I reckon I will let her 5 purebred eggs to good use then. I'll go fire up the ole incubator.

The one behind her in the second pic looks like a porcelain too, but a darker one...

Love that splash. He is GORGEOUS.
It's funny, DH asked if those two girls were a pair because they look so similar, and was bummed they're both girls LOL. Go figure, huh? The one with the darker head came out of a Partridge breeding, but I agree, they look very much alike - from two different breeders.

I love the Splash cockerel too, hatched him and the other cockerel as well as the Porcelain pullet from Catdance eggs. The Black cockerel has light fluff so I imagine he isn't actually a true Black since he came from a Lavender pen, and he also has some gold leakage in his hackles.

I traded my True Black Catdance cockerel for a Sheryl Butler Buff cockerel. This Buff has insanely feathered feet. I am gonna pair him with my MB hen that is lacking in the foot feathers and hope to throw some nice chicks. And the two Buff eggs that hatched from my Non-vaulted skull pair both have vaulted skulls, one is huge. Is this common?

Back
Top Bottom