Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I need some expert opinions. I'm running into what I think are vulture hocks on my Silkies this year. So I tried to take some pictures that show what I'm interpreting as vulture hocks and want to know if it truly are vulture hocks. Could it possibly be the age of the birds? They are close to 4 1/2 mos old. I got rid of some young Showgirls once because I thought they had vulture hocks too, and was told they go through a stage where they look to have them. I would appreciate some input on this. I couldn't get very many decent pictures so if you need more, let me know. Thank you.

I need some expert opinions. I'm running into what I think are vulture hocks on my Silkies this year. So I tried to take some pictures that show what I'm interpreting as vulture hocks and want to know if it truly are vulture hocks. Could it possibly be the age of the birds? They are close to 4 1/2 mos old. I got rid of some young Showgirls once because I thought they had vulture hocks too, and was told they go through a stage where they look to have them. I would appreciate some input on this. I couldn't get very many decent pictures so if you need more, let me know. Thank you.
I mean I don't see anything.

No vulture hocks there. Vulture hocks on Silkies refer to STIFF feathers growing out of the hocks. These birds just have nice feathering.

Ok. I misunderstood what vulture hocks are on Silkies. They're silkied feathered but when they walk, they look to have pointed tufts sticking out. I thought vulture hock was feathering, hard or soft, that stuck out behind at their hock joint, almost coming to a point. If this isn't the case, then I'm being paranoid. I thank you very much for your opinions. They're truly appreciated.

The blue one in the second photo looks like it might have well-silkied vulture hocks. None of the others appear to have them at all. I don;t think the bird would have any points assessed against it, much less a DQ based upon what have seen at the shows I've been at...But it really depends on the judge. I know of a case where a bird was DQed for too heavy foot feathering, even though it was all very silkied.

No vulture hocks there. Vulture hocks on Silkies refer to STIFF feathers growing out of the hocks. These birds just have nice feathering.

If you don't already have one get a small wire dog brush. brush those feathers and see how they turn out. They may just need a good grooming. My birds love the brush. My house hen comes running when she sees it. But I think she's part goat because she comes running when she sees anybody eating or thinks they're eating. lol I wish I had my camera going on video the other day. She was dancing to a singer on Americans got talent. lol Soo funny

Anyway, get yourself a brush if you don't have one.

If you don't already have one get a small wire dog brush. brush those feathers and see how they turn out. They may just need a good grooming. My birds love the brush. My house hen comes running when she sees it. But I think she's part goat because she comes running when she sees anybody eating or thinks they're eating. lol I wish I had my camera going on video the other day. She was dancing to a singer on Americans got talent. lol Soo funny

Anyway, get yourself a brush if you don't have one.
In all my years of breeding and showing Silkies I NEVER used a brush on one. I only used a hairdryer on low. It is too easy to injure pin feathers with a brush.

Here is one of my silkie chicks! It's soo fluffy!

Back
Top Bottom