Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I could really use some advice/help. This has never happened to me and is confusing. I had some chicks to hatch Thursday. 2 zipped when I was leaving for a couple hours. Came home and that had not changed and I heard not chirping. Took them out and both where DIS. Today....Very same thing happened. They are completely zipped but never push out of the egg. My temp is 99 and the humidity is running between 55-60. This is really confusing to me. I don't know what to do. Thanks so much!!

I could really use some advice/help. This has never happened to me and is confusing. I had some chicks to hatch Thursday. 2 zipped when I was leaving for a couple hours. Came home and that had not changed and I heard not chirping. Took them out and both where DIS. Today....Very same thing happened. They are completely zipped but never push out of the egg. My temp is 99 and the humidity is running between 55-60. This is really confusing to me. I don't know what to do. Thanks so much!!

Did you take the dead chicks out of the shell to inspect them? Possibly bad toes or legs not in the right position to grasp shell edge to pull it's self out maybe. Maybe zip was too high and they couldn't reach the edge? Maybe stuck and couldn't get out. Thats happened many times here. I've had humidity up to 60 and still they get stuck.

Did you take the dead chicks out of the shell to inspect them? Possibly bad toes or legs not in the right position to grasp shell edge to pull it's self out maybe. Maybe zip was too high and they couldn't reach the edge? Maybe stuck and couldn't get out. Thats happened many times here. I've had humidity up to 60 and still they get stuck.
They are zipped right about mid way of the shell...toes look good. Could it be they just get weak after all the work of pipping. They pipped last night and this happened app noon today. Another was pipped and was DIS as well. This has been an on going problem and seems to be mostly the splash. It is getting frustrating. I started to call you Em but hated to with it being the weekend. I am incubating at 99.5-100 and 45 H....could that be some of the problem?? These are someone elses eggs so I am really feeling terrible about it. I also have some white ones belonging to another person and they have done well. Makes no sense to me.

They are zipped right about mid way of the shell...toes look good. Could it be they just get weak after all the work of pipping. They pipped last night and this happened app noon today. Another was pipped and was DIS as well. This has been an on going problem and seems to be mostly the splash. It is getting frustrating. I started to call you Em but hated to with it being the weekend. I am incubating at 99.5-100 and 45 H....could that be some of the problem?? These are someone elses eggs so I am really feeling terrible about it. I also have some white ones belonging to another person and they have done well. Makes no sense to me.

It could be anything. Are they shipped eggs? I'm guessing not. If it's just the splash maybe they where too weak to finish the job. It can take up to 24 hours once they pip for them to hatch but to die in the middle of it. IDK. Your temps and humidity is ok so it shouldn't be that. Have you cleaned your bator lately? I think bacteria would have done it's damage and they wouldn't even had pipped so "m just reaching for straws right now. But I would think that if it's just the splash maybe the chicks were'nt healthy enough to exert the energy to hatch. Again just a guess. I've had an issue with the guinea i've been hatching. I clean the hatcher between each batch and the temps are 101 with humidity at 60. It's 101 i my bator with dry incubation. They will hatch just fine in the dry bator but in the hatcher with humidity they get dry and stuck to the shell. I just don't get it. Maybe somebody with more years of experience will stumble along and lend some helping advice.

I have a health question, I know there is a specific thread to ask for help but since this is a silkie and a very strange issue I feel this is the best place to get expert advice.
I sold a few birds to a friend/fellow breeder and one of the birds just stopped eating. She is a four month old and according to my friend had no head injury - my first thought. She apparently is perfectly fine in every other way except eating. She found her in the pen half dead/weak and so brought her inside looking for injury/illness. She found nothing. She has been force feeding her and she is doing fine...talking/purring even cuddling. Completely normal but she will not eat on her own. She has tried everything, even scrambled eggs. Has anyone heard of anything such as this? Any ideas?

I have a health question, I know there is a specific thread to ask for help but since this is a silkie and a very strange issue I feel this is the best place to get expert advice.
I sold a few birds to a friend/fellow breeder and one of the birds just stopped eating. She is a four month old and according to my friend had no head injury - my first thought. She apparently is perfectly fine in every other way except eating. She found her in the pen half dead/weak and so brought her inside looking for injury/illness. She found nothing. She has been force feeding her and she is doing fine...talking/purring even cuddling. Completely normal but she will not eat on her own. She has tried everything, even scrambled eggs. Has anyone heard of anything such as this? Any ideas?
Put her crest up ! Can she see ? Wiggle your fingers in front of her eyes, and check.

my cockerel musti, he's is almost 5 months. What do you think

Last edited:
I have a Color question for two of my Silkie chicks (24 days old today). Seems I got other colors then I thought they would be. So I need some opinions what colors this are.

I have a Color question for two of my Silkie chicks (24 days old today). Seems I got other colors then I thought they would be. So I need some opinions what colors this are.

The darker colored one looks like either a partridge or sliver silkie chick. I'm not so sure about the other chick but it will be easier to tell when they get older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom