Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I was just given an adorable little splash silkie to add to my flock, but she was free because she has a pretty bad scissor beak. :( now, since she is eating and drinking perfectly I've decided to just keep her but was wondering if I should attempt filing it a little or leaving her be unless it causes a problem? I'll get a pic of the little darling tmrw. Thanks!!!

Snowmiser, Cindy, and Fancy (my bantam cochin), won 1st places at the show this week, and Bumble won 2nd behind Snowmiser =) I thought it as kind of strange though I didn't see any BB or BV etc. in the silkie class :idunno  Maybe they weren't done yet... guess i'll find out tomorrow when I go back to the fairgrounds. Snowmiser was being a little SNOT! I went to pet him and he repeatedly bit me hard, holding and twisting! He isn't happy I left him there I guess.
Congratulations on your wins! Which show are you at? We had one here where I live and we were to take our entrees in on Wed and leave them until Sun. I didn't enter mine because of that reason and because I have been sick. I was worried about leaving my chickens there so long.

Congratulations on your wins! Which show are you at? We had one here where I live and we were to take our entrees in on Wed and leave them until Sun. I didn't enter mine because of that reason and because I have been sick. I was worried about leaving my chickens there so long.

Thank you =D, It's a local fair here in NH, same principal I dropped them off wednesday and have to leave them until sunday.

Last edited:
I was just given an adorable little splash silkie to add to my flock, but she was free because she has a pretty bad scissor beak.
sad.png
now, since she is eating and drinking perfectly I've decided to just keep her but was wondering if I should attempt filing it a little or leaving her be unless it causes a problem? I'll get a pic of the little darling tmrw. Thanks!!!

I would file what you can, could you post a picture? You may be able to fix it.

I was just given an adorable little splash silkie to add to my flock, but she was free because she has a pretty bad scissor beak. :( now, since she is eating and drinking perfectly I've decided to just keep her but was wondering if I should attempt filing it a little or leaving her be unless it causes a problem? I'll get a pic of the little darling tmrw. Thanks!!!
update: here's her pic

Last edited:

update: here's her pic

Oh that's really bad =( You can trim the end of the upper beak a bit so it's easier to grasp things, but she is going to need special care, and I would seperate her during feeding time and give her a wet mash to easily scoop food. I have one but she is not that bad. Honestly I have not heard of this severe of a case living very long but you can certainly try. I would never breed it if it does make it.

Last edited:
Oh that's really bad =( You can trim the end of the upper beak a bit so it's easier to grasp things, but she is going to need special care, and I would seperate her during feeding time and give her a wet mash to easily scoop food. I have one but she is not that bad. Honestly I have not heard of this severe of a case living very long but you can certainly try. I would never breed it if it does make it.
ahhh well poopy! I'm hoping she makes it. So far she keeps up with the rest of them and it doesn't seem to bother her at all! I've named her beauty. Ha! I figured it was a bad case. I'm not sure how to trim the beak tho. Do I get a little drimel and just go easy? Or use a regular file? I even saw someone on YouTube take a pair of fingernail clippers and cut the front tip a bit ? You think it will make it EASIER to eat that way? Poor baby. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! I don't plan on breeding her, but maybe she will turn out to be a good broody hen!?

Back
Top Bottom