Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

The photo on the right is a better photo, but doesn't show her coop card.
droolin.gif
love.gif

The first girl is a beautiful Gray too...

Ok I'm trying to get as much advice on these babies as I can since I've started hatching different colored silkies now. Finally got a blue hen and breeding splash pair. And I'm not sure who's laying which eggs just yet. But here are the chicks I hatched out last week. Any suggestions or guesses are much appreciated!! Thanks ALL!! Oh and yes these are silkie chicks. Lol!!

Last edited:
Ok I'm trying to get as much advice on these babies as I can since I've started hatching different colored silkies now. Finally got a blue hen and breeding splash pair. And I'm not sure who's laying which eggs just yet. But here are the chicks I hatched out last week. Any suggestions or guesses are much appreciated!! Thanks ALL!! Oh and yes these are silkie chicks. Lol!!

Yours are obviously Silkies, the others were not obvious. I don't think any of those were Silkies.. and this is the Silkie thread.

If you have a Blue hen and a Splash pair I would say you have Blue, Blue, Splash, Splash. No surprises there so far.

I don't like to guess colors with chick down - as I showed I had a gold one turn white, and somebody else had a dark blue one turn white. If you know parents then you have a pretty good idea of what they "should" be - its only the odd colored ones (like if you crossed with White for example) that will need to be watched as they grow up to see what they will end up being.

Since you don't have White - then the probability of getting White is lower - unless you have two birds hiding it. You will only know that when they get their adult feathers in.

So, while we really enjoy chick pictures, we won't always answer "what color is this".. because we won't know until they are all grown up. Same with what sex... that is even harder.

Yours are obviously Silkies, the others were not obvious.  I don't think any of those were Silkies.. and this is the Silkie thread.

If you have a Blue hen and a Splash pair I would say you have Blue, Blue, Splash, Splash.  No surprises there so far. 

I don't like to guess colors with chick down - as I showed I had a gold one turn white, and somebody else had a dark blue one turn white.  If you know parents then you have a pretty good idea of what they "should" be - its only the odd colored ones (like if you crossed with White for example) that will need to be watched as they grow up to see what they will end up being.

Since you don't have White - then the probability of getting White is lower - unless you have two birds hiding it.  You will only know that when they get their adult feathers in.

So, while we really enjoy chick pictures, we won't always answer "what color is this".. because we won't know until they are all grown up.  Same with what sex... that is even harder.
ok I understand. Thank u!! And I actually have 2 white hens.. :/ so that prob doesn't help AT ALL. LOL! I appreciate your advice. I'll keep an eye on them and see what their feathers start coming in as.

Back
Top Bottom