Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Okay! What makes you think it's a boy?
Actually, I was going by beak shape and overall proportion (such as head to body). Of course it is too soon to be sure, but if I had the bird in hand I could be more certain one way or the other. I am almost always right when sexing mine from very young, but then lines differ as well. The buff colored bird is not a very good example of a female IMO. Large comb and small crest, but I also cannot see the entire bird.
As I said, lines vary. Either way it is a cute little white.

Jingle

Jangle

Okay, I don't see the wings looking bad here except in the bottom pic of Jangle - but that could be the way she is positioned. And wings mature along with the bird, it was just the last pics that looked iffy. I like to see a bigger crest at this age, but not all would agree. Wait a month or so and post pics again so we can see how they progress
smile.png

Looking for critiques on my white cockerel. He's about 7 months old. He has his head up checking things out in the second pic. First one is his normal stance.

Last edited:
Also, here's my little pullet. Don't judge the crest lol. She normally has a perfect puff ball on her head, but she couldn't see well so I trimmed it.

Last edited:
Had to post this picture of Braxton's second hatch. He had 8 fertile white eggs. 7 made it to lockdown and he has 5 out with the other two pipped.

I thought this picture was hilarious.
I do have a question about them. Most of the come out very smutty, but feather out white. We got another hen and her chicks hatch yellow. Is one a silver based and if so is there any benefit to breeding silver based?

Had to post this picture of Braxton's second hatch. He had 8 fertile white eggs. 7 made it to lockdown and he has 5 out with the other two pipped.

I thought this picture was hilarious.
I do have a question about them. Most of the come out very smutty, but feather out white. We got another hen and her chicks hatch yellow. Is one a silver based and if so is there any benefit to breeding silver based?
Silver based gives you a better easier to care for white. It is often called Platnim white.

Quote: I've never heard of platinum white; only silver based or double silver gene or gold based, etc. Platinum is a variety that has both blue and dun.

Down colour can and does show some of the genes carried. Yellow chicks are gold based; silvery chicks are silver based. White chicks are likely silver based, but also have the snow white down gene.

are these show quality or not? plus how old are they??

the guy i bought from said they are around 1 year old and show quality.
In my opinion, they appear to be breeder quality non-bearded silkies. The pics wont allow to see other details that would indicate quality. Check to see if your cockbird has spurs, it may be helpful as far as age.

Back
Top Bottom