Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

We are looking at finally purchasing out first silkies. The kids would like to show them in 4-H. I've really enjoyed reading this thread from beginning to end. Coming from "show
dogs" I really have learned a lot by the explanations
of conformation posted here. I look forward to
learning a ton more ;)

you will just LOVE having silkies!! They are different from most chickens. They are defiently the Lap kittens of chickens!! So gentle and loving. Mine will sit in my lap and purr! Yes they actually purr when very happy! Mine also purr when given a food they really like! Its the sweetest sound!! My flocks have all been silkies. Once I saw them I was HOOKED! And silkies are like potato chips; you can't have just one!!I'm expecting another new addition to my flock. She is shipping out today! Its not too far where she's coming from so will arrive tomorrow!! Only problem with silkies is they are notoriously difficult to sex. I use a dna lab that tells the sex with feathers. My lab is only 10 dollars a Sample and its name is Accu-metrics. It serves world wide if your interested. You just pluck a couple chest feathers and send them in and they will tell you if your bird is male or female! Its really easy and simple to do. Have you decided where your getting your silkies from yet? I'm certain they will bring you lots of joy.i know mine do!! I wouldn't trade mine in for Anything! I just love them to peices and I'm sure you will too!! Please show us some pictures when they arrive!! I wish you the best with your new silkies!! Its a wonderful breed and they make perfect pets!! Keep us updated!! If your son will be showing them you will likely want to get them from a breeder and not a hatchery. The looks can be different between breeder and hatchery birds and if he's showing them then a breeder would be who you want your stock from. Hope this helps you out and good luck!! :)

Got some hay in the pen finally!!! The game bantams, silkies, Cochin bantams, quail, & the goose are all hayed down. I've another bale coming in sometime this week to give to the laying hens and rooster.

Looking for critiques on my white cockerel. He's about 7 months old. He has his head up checking things out in the second pic. First one is his normal stance.

Any advice on the quality of this one?

Last edited:
Too true- if you want the big crests go to a breeder or get an incubator and hatch them yourself from shipped breeder eggs!

Going with a breeder who has large crests in their flock and who is reputable for healthy birds is good.

Thank you very much for the advice! We are going with a breeder. I will be driving 3 1/2 hours one way this week to pick up some babies. While I know babies are not guaranteed to turn out "show" quality I think the kids and I will really enjoy bonding and raising babies. At some point I would LOVE to get some hatching eggs. I am afraid that what all of you had said about them being like potato chips might be true. ;)

Anyone ever have hen hatched eggs that were shrink wrapped? Two chicks today :( were completely and totally shrink wrapped. I've had it happen with an incubator before, but never with eggs under a broody

Anyone ever have hen hatched eggs that were shrink wrapped? Two chicks today :( were completely and totally shrink wrapped. I've had it happen with an incubator before, but never with eggs under a broody

The only time I have heard of that is when somebody is messing with the hen during her "lockdown" to peek at the chicks and see how many have hatched - but I know you wouldn't do that. The other factors are: first time broody? anybody bothering her? When I had one chick partially stuck in the shell my experienced broody cleaned it off and helped it when it was yelling - but I don't know if a new one would know to do this. My first time broody did a dismal job of taking care of her chick after it was hatched, but she didn't leave anything viable in the nest. She just didn't break out of the broody zone even when the chick was being pecked on by other birds or yelling for her because it was outside and cold and she was still sitting inside, on NOTHING. My repeat offender is at it again, but I trust her - she has been batting 90-100% hatches each time. Sorry about your chicks...

Ouch. Any chance she was urged off the nest after pip? That is sad, so sorry to see it.

ETA - urged off by another hen or cock, not by you ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom