Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I do check under hens when they are on eggs, but I've never had an issue with babies being shrink wrapped before; when I last checked, none of the eggs under her were pipped. Nothing was different than I've done before. She has one more egg, and I have several newly hatched chicks from the incubator that I am going to try to give her. Just frustrating to encounter a problem that I've never had with a broody before.

Here is one of the new babies.

I had to laugh so hard at this photo of my son and one of the babies. He's absolutely smitten with them. He got up 5 times last night to check that they were ok.

I had one silkie hatch with a few Orpington chicks. Of course I can sex the Orpingtons already, but not the silkie.

I hope you can help me sex this cute chick
Silkies were one of my breeds for years Delisha. If those are streamers on the crest, I'd say boy.I can't see enough of the comb to judge that.

Trying to get advice on a little day old Silkie that is turning her head back and forth constantly and will walk in circles. I haven't encountered this before and would appreciate any advice on what this might be and how I can help? Thanks all

Trying to get advice on a little day old Silkie that is turning her head back and forth constantly and will walk in circles. I haven't encountered this before and would appreciate any advice on what this might be and how I can help? Thanks all
Fluid in the ears.......try drying her for a few minutes with a hair dryer
brain damage..cull

Try giving that chick POLY-Vi-Sol vitamins without iron for a week or two.Sometimes a shortage of B vitamins can cause neurological symptoms. like that.

Thank you for the information Vickie..at what age do streamers start? This chick is about 11 weeks old. What do you look for in the comb for sexing?

In a few weeks you will see that comb grow, if it is a male. Sometimes Silkies will fool you . I always went on stance. An Orp male chick stands differently from a pullet too.

Back
Top Bottom