Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Thank you Vickie,

I understand Orpingtons ..these silkies have me stumped. This one acts different from all the male chicks I have hatched, so I was hoping for pullet. oh well.

Has any one done a silkie autopsy? I had my first unexpected death and performed an autopsy. I have butchered many birds in my life time and this was a bit unnerving. The color is so odd and I wonder if internal organs can be different colors too. The heart was very pale in color and surrounded by a large bag of fluid so I am sure it was heart disease of some kind.

Upon inspection of my Lav Silkie today I noticed one of her eyes was goopy and her hair around icky so I brought her in and give her a bath and she is now wrapped in a towel. When I was cleaning the eye I noticed a small particle of what looked like a piece of mash. Would this cause her to get a goopy eye?

Also I think I read somewhere that you can blow dry a Silkie?

Last edited:
Upon inspection of my Lav Silkie today I noticed one of her eyes was goopy and her hair around icky so I brought her in and give her a bath and she is now wrapped in a towel. When I was cleaning the eye I noticed a small particle of what looked like a piece of mash. Would this cause her to get a goopy eye?

Also I think I read somewhere that you can blow dry a Silkie?
yeah you can blowdry her. They enjoy it. Any foreign body in the eye can cause an infection. I would rinse out the eye with a gentle saline eye wash and if it is goopy again tomorrow put terramycin or neo-poly-mycin eye ointment in it twice a day for 5 days to a week

Has any one done a silkie autopsy? I had my first unexpected death and performed an autopsy. I have butchered many birds in my life time and this was a bit unnerving. The color is so odd and I wonder if internal organs can be different colors too. The heart was very pale in color and surrounded by a large bag of fluid so I am sure it was heart disease of some kind.
I've done Silkie autopsy. Yes. The internal organs are black/blue in color. It is something to get used to at first sight. Even the teste's of male Silkies are black. Hard to find in young males at processing. The organs are dark but pretty much all in the same location. You have to get used to processing them to figure out what is "normal" and what is "abnormal".

Quote: There was a local processing get together, and what was posted afterwards was that the young silkie cockerel's testes were HUGE compared to those in fully mature large fowl breeds.
It was a young bird and I did not find sex organs. It was a very odd internal bird. It might have just been because of the color I was lost in dissection. It had to have been a male since I did find healthy lungs and no eggs.

This thread needs an awakening! Jingle and Jangle got baths tonight so I took a few pictures for critiquing and gender guesses
smile.png
They are 11 weeks old now! Man does time fly! I'm really excited about Jangle, to me she looks VERY promising, what does everyone else think? Also, what do you think about Jingle's crest? no matter how much I "messify" it, it always goes right back to looking like she just came from the hairdresser
roll.png
Is that a bad trait to have such a neat crest?
Jingle is the blue, and Jangle is actually jet black but unfortunately the flash makes her look dark blue no matter how much I try to edit it.

Jingle

Jangle

From the roundness of the top of the combs they both look like boys to me.
This thread needs an awakening! Jingle and Jangle got baths tonight so I took a few pictures for critiquing and gender guesses :) They are 11 weeks old now! Man does time fly! I'm really excited about Jangle, to me she looks VERY promising, what does everyone else think? Also, what do you think about Jingle's crest? no matter how much I "messify" it, it always goes right back to looking like she just came from the hairdresser :rolleyes: Is that a bad trait to have such a neat crest? Jingle is the blue, and Jangle is actually jet black but unfortunately the flash makes her look dark blue no matter how much I try to edit it. Jingle Jangle

Back
Top Bottom