Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I have a gray roo from quality lines and I think he has pretty good type but he has serious red leakage. Does that mean his offspring will (more than likely) have red leakage or could he produce a gray that has good show quality color?
If he has leakage, his offspring almost certainly will, and any daughters who do not show it can pass it on to their offspring.

Without going into a deep genetics debate. From my experience,"others may have their own opinion". i would not breed this roo if the leakage is serious as you say. depending on the hen(s) bred with him, they might produce offspring with or without the leakage. Breed him to one hen at a time and see what they produce, cull any offspring that have any sign of the leakage. I would not include that roo in my breeding program again. Breed the original hen to one of her best sons " no leakage at all" and see what happens. Keep on breeding the birds that show no sign of leakage, try to avoid brother/sister matings.

If he has leakage, his offspring almost certainly will, and any daughters who do not show it can pass it on to their offspring.

I don't have the parents. I bought him as a chick from someone who said all of her birds were from quality lines and that she breeds in separate pens (separated by color), but who knows. Hmmm, as pretty and sweet as he is, sounds like I need to put him out with the free range chickens and find a better roo for breeding.

This is not my rooster; He's for sale locally. The picture was taken when he was 4 months old (about a month ago). I know that's pretty young, but what do you think of the quality (given the age)? I have a nice white silkie hen who is brooding chicks right now, but I'd like to breed her this season.

Last edited:
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but at an ABA & APA sanctioned show, do I need to be a member to participate - is it for just their point systems? I am currently a member of the ASBC. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answer. I know I can get my points for the Silkie Club through the ABA & APA sanctioned shows, but are there advantages to being a member with them also? Trying to find the answer to this question I stumbled on stuff about numbered leg bands and things and I don't want to make things too complicated. I have limited funding for my "chicken" related activities, so it would have to be very advantageous. And yes, I have been to the ABA website and that's where the numbered bands and things came up.
idunno.gif

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but at an ABA & APA sanctioned show, do I need to be a member to participate - is it for just their point systems? I am currently a member of the ASBC. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answer. I know I can get my points for the Silkie Club through the ABA & APA sanctioned shows, but are there advantages to being a member with them also? Trying to find the answer to this question I stumbled on stuff about numbered leg bands and things and I don't want to make things too complicated. I have limited funding for my "chicken" related activities, so it would have to be very advantageous. And yes, I have been to the ABA website and that's where the numbered bands and things came up.
idunno.gif

You can participate in APA/ABA shows, unless otherwise stated in the entry forms. I have never been denied an entry for not being a member of either group.

"numbered leg bands" If you get your birds T/P tested, "90 day certificate", the tester will provide and attach the wing or leg band to your birds.

You can participate in APA/ABA shows, unless otherwise stated in the entry forms. I have never been denied an entry for not being a member of either group.

"numbered leg bands" If you get your birds T/P tested, "90 day certificate", the tester will provide and attach the wing or leg band to your birds.

Thanks for the reply Groundpecker. My birds are T/P tested, but I didn't get any bands. I just got a signed cert and the tester told me to make copies if I sold birds or eggs I would give a copy to the purchaser. You have to send a copy to the show secretary with your show fees.

I have some expensive silkies that I am hatching, and I plan to show them. Should I keep them on wire?, or should I just keep them on the ground with my other silkies and chickens. Please keep in mind that I dont want them to get dirty and plan to show them regularly.

I have some expensive silkies that I am hatching, and I plan to show them. Should I keep them on wire?, or should I just keep them on the ground with my other silkies and chickens. Please keep in mind that I dont want them to get dirty and plan to show them regularly.

If you are hatching them, it will be approximately 6 months before you can show them. They can live with the "regular" chickens till then if you want them too. Just allow enough time from your first show to separate them to get them conditioned and ready. You won't really know for sure if they are show worthy until they are a few months old anyway (they all won't be).

Last edited:
so i posted these on another thread and reading this thread see it may be the more appropriate place.. please share with me your opinions on this pullet( supposed to be a pullet i cant tell for certain) .. my son intends to show her possibly, so all criticism is accepted and no offense taken as that is how we learn so just from the pics what can you all tell me.. she is 4 months old and has lots of pin feathers all over still( think i got the right word ..they havent opened up yet) i was told to see if her wings are "tight" .. idk how do i tell she has a firm hold on them when you go to open them up and they do snap back in place?? she has (as far as i know) the right skin color( dark ,purplish) , beak (blueish), comb-almost non existant, and waddles (tiny)(deep mulberry -almost black) ,her eyes are black ,slight brown only in direct light you can see it,her earlobes are light tourqouisey blue, 5 toes that are spaced some( not like a siamese toe)

Back
Top Bottom