Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Ok, can someone help me, please? I've posted on this site and no one seems to know what the color of my silkie is.

I would say that it is "buff" - it could be a cross between white and buff.. I don't know if you hatched this chicken from your stock - what you have for roosters/hens.. but it isn't white, grey, black or splash, so that really just leaves Buff.. It does have darker "reddish" feathers on its crest and wing - so I think that from this concentration, it is just a bird that would be culled from breeding, as it isn't a pure color that you would want to continue.. JMO.. I am not an expert..

Great Ider! I love silkies I have 2 girls I'm hoping to get another girl and one boy in April!

Subana!

Last edited:
Usually when no one answers it means they don't know.
idunno.gif

She is not a standard color and I don't think anyone can just put a name on it when it isn't - looks to be very diluted with some soft "freckles" of buff coloring and some gray in her head and tail. Do you know the color of her parents, sometimes that will help? You might also try the "Silkies of a Different color" thread, that's where some of us will post our oddball colors.

What about mine?

This is jonah my ±6 month old non-bearded white silkie roo, I bought him and his gf from a local breeder I know,

It's sad that most of people here thinks chickens are just food on dinner plate, I dunno if there's a contest for chickens here

hi I'm heading to my first show on the 15th of this month I am taking my two silkies scarlet and zoey. will ya'll critique them please? heres scarlet this is a slightly older picture her crest is now slightly bigger on both this is zoey zoey again ^older but shows her colors better^ her head (note neither are full grown only pullets)
Oh yea, on the last pic, zoey is a female right?

It wa
I can't see it very well but to me it either looks like a buff or splash. I'm sure there are others that can see it better than I can. :)
it was give to me. It has reddish looking feathers on its wings. How old would you say this girl is? My other silkies have big poofs. How old does this one have to be before she grows a big poof on her head?

It wa
it was give to me. It has reddish looking feathers on its wings. How old would you say this girl is? My other silkies have big poofs. How old does this one have to be before she grows a big poof on her head?

She looks like someone crossed different colored hatchery silkies together, I've seen similar colors on my aunt's barnyard mutts. And it will probably never get a big poof, the hatchery ones I started with only had tiny poofs.

She looks like someone crossed different colored hatchery silkies together, I've seen similar colors on my aunt's barnyard mutts. And it will probably never get a big poof, the hatchery ones I started with only had tiny poofs.
All I know is that my friends boyfriend got it at first Monday and I traded her some games for that silkie. I love silkies. She's pretty though I know that

Back
Top Bottom