Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Here's a picture of her back.

Ok so I am DEFINATELY not a pro at judging birds and I don't know what are supposed to look like, as in show quality, as I am only 14 I have two silkies. A white and a brown/gold. I will try to upload a pic tomorrow so people can comment. My dad wants me to show the white one(her name is Snowflake, I know...very original
1f60b.png
) anyway. She has a few dirty feathers but I suppose that can be fixed.
Tomorrow I will post a pic of them both and hopefully people can give me some tips!
Appreciate it...
FourteenChicks
1f60a.png

I'm just getting into Silkies and the Porcelains have really caught my eye. Forgive my ignorance, but where could I find a breeding chart for them? I've heard you can cross Lavender and Buff to them. Could someone please offer some advice? I'm not completely new to chickens, but Silkies are uncharted territory for me. I'm very impressed though with how friendly most breeders are and how willing they are to help out a newbie like myself. :)

Hi everyone, quick question if someone can help. I have a showgirl roo, beautiful mulberry walnut comb and a SQ silkie, but when I've bred them all of their chicks have a single comb. I realize that this is a recessive gene in both parents - but does that mean every chick between them will have a single comb? Any hope for them to throw a walnut comb?

Back
Top Bottom