Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
Splash is two copies of the blue gene. Both parents must have at least one copy for any of their offspring to be splash. Blacks will never give splash. And white is an unknown--it is an OFF SWITCH that prevents the expression of colours and patterns genetically present in the bird. There is no way of knowing what that OFF SWITCH is hiding, and every white can be different.

Blue to blue gives 25% splash; blue to splash gives 50%; splash to splash gives 100%

I posted these on the other silkie page, but if any of you hatch partridge, Im curious to know if you can tell at hatch based on pattern what they may mature into. Dark, light ,blue, etc.. If not I understand. Just a query. :) I got a lot of partridge this time!

These are my first Silkies (love them!) and I would like to learn what to look for as far as good type. These are my two 7 month old Porcelain boys (I have 2 cockerels and 3 pullets) and I like things about both of them, but would like an opinion on which one is the best of the two and why? They are absolutely the most adorable and loving roosters I own.

#1 First picture at 5 months old, second picture at 7 months old~

A

#2 Taken at 5 months old~

Both cockerels together at 7 months old~ #1 on right, # 2 on left. #2 had his crest trimmed around his eyes so he can see better.

I also have another question~ I did a test hatch of two eggs for fertility and do not know which pullet the eggs came from. I was surprised to get 2 partridge colored chicks. I am wondering which color of pullet bred to my porcelain boys produced partridge? I have 1 white, 1 porcelain, 1 lavender and 1 blue pullet at the time.

The two chicks~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom