Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
It's HARD to find the type of birds you are looking for. I have multiple incubators, but still have a hard time hatching quality stock. The bird in how funkyisyourchick's avatar is what I'm aiming for. So far, I haven't had much luck, but I'm getting closer. (Speaking of which, howfunky......do you sell eggies? :D ) Again, I think your two will do fine at local shows......and compared to the silkies I see here locally in my area, yours would blow them away. LOL!

I do sell eggs, when I have them! All of my hens are coming off of being broody and haven't started laying again yet. :barnie for no eggs, but :woot for cute chickies (which I have a bunch of, by the way, if anyone is fairly close and interested....).

My advice would be to find the best quality stock you can and breed up from there. I didn't start with expensive, show quality birds, just the best I could find within my budget. I've been breeding them for about 5 years now (? I think anyway!) and I'm finally getting pretty consistent type on them.
Nayeli- just because your pair aren't necessarily show or breeder quality doesn't mean they won't produce nice (or better) offspring. Do a couple of test hatches and see what comes from it. When I first started, some of my least impressive birds made some of my nicest chicks and yours are quite a bit better than a lot of what I started with ;)

Last edited:
I do sell eggs, when I have them! All of my hens are coming off of being broody and haven't started laying again yet. :barnie for no eggs, but :woot for cute chickies (which I have a bunch of, by the way, if anyone is fairly close and interested....).

My advice would be to find the best quality stock you can and breed up from there. I didn't start with expensive, show quality birds, just the best I could find within my budget. I've been breeding them for about 5 years now (? I think anyway!) and I'm finally getting pretty consistent type on them.
Nayeli- just because your pair aren't necessarily show or breeder quality doesn't mean they won't produce nice (or better) offspring. Do a couple of test hatches and see what comes from it. When I first started, some of my least impressive birds made some of my nicest chicks and yours are quite a bit better than a lot of what I started with ;)

Well said Funky. I don't think these are bad birds. They have great foot feathering and good shape, they are lacking a bit in the crest and overall bulk of feather. But if they are young that can change. A lot of feathering and bulk is in conditioning for show. If you are planning on showing locally go for it. It does not sound like you have a lot of competetive Silkies in your area so go and have fun. People who win the big shows either pay someone a ridiculous amount of money for a top bird or they did just what Funky says and took their time and bred for improvement. You said you don't have an incubator, but let your hen set a batch from your rooster. Then on her second time going broody buy some shipped eggs from a quality breeder. Let her incubate for you. Select breeders from that batch and improve your stock. Lather rinse repeat. Good luck and above all enjoy your birds.

These are my 4 month old silkies. Please feel free to critique. Which one is the most "show quality"? They are all bearded except for the last one. Thank you!
Starry Night (hen):

Black Magic (hen):

Dream (rooster):

Gem (hen):

These are my 4 month old silkies. Please feel free to critique. Which one is the most "show quality"? They are all bearded except for the last one. Thank you!
Starry Night (hen):

Black Magic (hen):

Dream (rooster):

Gem (hen):

The hens look good to me but I'm not a fan of the rooster, he is awfully small and his body is odd.... I also prefer bearded, but that is a preference.

The hens look good to me but I'm not a fan of the rooster, he is awfully small and his body is odd.... I also prefer bearded, but that is a preference.

Thank you for responding! I see what you mean about Dream, my rooster, he is smaller, but he is still young and that will most likely improve with age. I am not that familiar with body type and posture and it would help if somebody would post pictures of a rooster with a good body type. Which silkie do think looks the best? How well do you think I would do at a show? I will post more pictures of my rooster to further assess his faults. This may be another thing that could improve with age.
Please more opinions. I want all the opinions I can get both good and bad. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom