Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I'm more interested in the genes and how they interact together at this point. I'm not going to actually breed armed and black but wasn't sure what would happen if the two base colors were bred together since they are both dominant. Which is more dominant type of thing. In breeding I'm just starting out and will stick with blue.

Red and black don't mix together. Chickens have two pigments: red and black. The E-locus determines where these colours appear on hte body, and other genes can restrict or expand the areas they cover, as well as moving them around within a feather (secondary patterning), Other genes can dilute or enhance the colours.

And red is not dominant; silver is. Dominance does not have anything to do with how different genes interact with each other; it has to do with how the different variations of a single gene interact. Silver is dominant to gold, and it has nothing to do with black. Black is not an actual gene.

Found that one since last post: here is update, I took off the sex link.

R/R- red dominant gene R is for rosecomb; there is no "red" gene, unless you mean autosomal red, which is not well-understood, and is probably a combination of genes, not a single gene. There is also mahogany, which is similar, but still not the same.
E/E- black dominant geneThe E allele is the base, and there are a number of alleles: E > E^R > E>Wh > e+ > e^b
eb/eb- partridge/brown recessive
Db/Db- dark brown effects black in Roos the most, lee in hens and red base.
e+/e+ - wild type, duck wing
I/I dominant white
c/c- white recessive gene that with two copies " turns off" the other colors. Most silkies are recessive white.
Bl/bl- blue dominant gene, dilute of black
Bl/Bl- splash, double blue gene that over dilutes black to a dirty white
lav/lav- lavender/self blue recessive, needs two copies to show and dilutes black and red
Co/Co- Colombian dominant, inhibits red
B/B C/c- paint dominant of black and white B is barring
eWh/eWh- wheaten, best expressed over red.
M1/M1- melanocytes, can make EB and birchen all black.???????????
Mh/Mh- mahogany, dominant, enhances red.
Di/Di- gold dilute dominant, possibly what makes buff
cb/cb champagne blond recessive, also possibly where buff comes from.

Patterns:
mo/mo- mottling recessive
Sp/Sp- Spanglish dominant, moves black to end oh feather
Lg/Lg- lacing dominant
ER/ER- birchen
B/B- barring
Pg/Pg- pattern gene, lacing.
Co/Co- Colombian dominant, inhibits red
M1/M1- melanocytes, can make EB and birchen all black.
Db/Db- dark brown effects black in Roos the most, lee in hens and red base.

Pg/M1/ Co- single lacing
Pg/M1/Co/Db- lacing with laced tail

I suggest you toss all the above and start reading here: http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm#basisEN

Last edited:
B/B- black dominant gene
c/c- white recessive gene that with two copies " turns off" the other colors
Bl/bl+- blue dominant gene, dilute of black
Bl/Bl- splash, double blue gene that over dilutes black to a dirty white
lav/lav- lavender recessive, needs two copies to show and dilutes black and red.

This is what I have so far, I still need to know about:

Partridge- dominant/ recessive
Buff- dominant recessive
Paint- dominant/recessive
Chocolate-dominant/recessive

And any other colors anyone can think of.

Just sharing one of my oddball colors :)

I tried to hatch some of my silkie eggs and only ended up with one. These are the parents. My roo who loves to have his pic taken but its hard to get my hen. This is their little baby.

Back
Top Bottom