Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Nah, I wish. She's a polish x easter egger cross.
Another thing you'll have to work with is your hen will throw hard feathered chicks, split to silkie if bred to your Silkie rooster. Those chicks bred to a Silkie will give you both hard and Silkied chicks. I'm starting a mottled Silkie project and that is the hurdle I am encountering. I have great looking birds but have to spend the time test breeding to figure out who is split or not.
Have you considered hatching eggs from show Silkies to breed your birds to? Shipped eggs are a big gamble, I have lost quite a bit of money on them but you can get some really nice birds from reputable breeders out there, and that might lessen some of the headache from breeding in other breeds. Though I have found it is very fun to try and work with what you've got and see where it goes!
smile.png

Another thing you'll have to work with is your hen will throw hard feathered chicks, split to silkie if bred to your Silkie rooster. Those chicks bred to a Silkie will give you both hard and Silkied chicks. I'm starting a mottled Silkie project and that is the hurdle I am encountering. I have great looking birds but have to spend the time test breeding to figure out who is split or not.
Have you considered hatching eggs from show Silkies to breed your birds to? Shipped eggs are a big gamble, I have lost quite a bit of money on them but you can get some really nice birds from reputable breeders out there, and that might lessen some of the headache from breeding in other breeds. Though I have found it is very fun to try and work with what you've got and see where it goes! :)

The money is the problem. I don't have any for an initial investment lol. So I take what I can get and work with it. I have just enough to keep them fed and wormed and some of that is from selling chicks and started pullets.
Since I think the silkie eggs I'll be hatching are from a recessive white roo I'll be doing some test breeding anyway to eliminate white from my black silkies. I'd like to add buff to my mix too and I'd need to eliminate hard feathers from that too since my best buff pullet right now is hard feathered (though her feathers are so soft they feel more like rabbit or cat fur than feathers lol, she has a personality to match her feather texture too).
I think unexpected results are sometimes some of the best results lol!

So.. nobody has given me a answer on a thread I started.. so maybe this one will help! My silky has become a broody.. her eggs will hatch in about 11 days.. She has been bred to both my silky roo and my Plymouth roo.

Can anyway even give me a CLUE to if one of the chicks that's father is the plymouth might look like.. I have pictures of him on my page.

So.. nobody has given me a answer on a thread I started.. so maybe this one will help! My silky has become a broody.. her eggs will hatch in about 11 days.. She has been bred to both my silky roo and my Plymouth roo.

Can anyway even give me a CLUE to if one of the chicks that's father is the plymouth might look like.. I have pictures of him on my page.
What color is your Silkie hen? and your Silkie Rooster?

This is one of my pullets I hatched last fall, can anyone shed some light on the color here? I'm not sure how I got to this, the eggs I incubated were from a coop of mixed colors and I do not know who was the mother or father. It almost looks like a splash with red, do you guys think so? Is this something that has a particular name?

And another one for you... I have 3 of this color. What would you call this and would you use the color for any breeding projects/ideas?? They're almost like partridge with too much red.

The first girl sort of looks like a blue cream/porcelain. But, she could be a smutty buff or red and the smut was diluted by blue. Did the person you got them from have lavenders or blues?
The second does look like a really red partridge, but all of the "red" Silkies I've seen look a lot like that too.

They're really pretty!

The first girl sort of looks like a blue cream/porcelain. But, she could be a smutty buff or red and the smut was diluted by blue. Did the person you got them from have lavenders or blues?
The second does look like a really red partridge, but all of the "red" Silkies I've seen look a lot like that too.

They're really pretty!
Thanks! She definitely had blues in there, and a porcelain rooster I'm pretty sure.

Back
Top Bottom