Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I'd like to breed to show quality if possible.
Out of the 3 roosters you showed I believe the top one (the black one). The white one is only pet quality, he lacks type. And the 3rd one is either a color I am unfamiliar with, a color with leakage, or a mixed color (personally I think his color looks pretty cool though :) ). Anyway, if you want to breed for show my suggestions would be to find some breeders who do just that and buy birds from them and go from there. Everyone has to start somewhere and if you can find a black, blue or splash hen that is of nice quality to go with your black rooster you will have you a good project to work on. Good luck :)

Thank you for taking the time to look at them and give them an evaluation. I do have a very nice splash hen who is brooding now. I had a barred rock hatch out a couple of her eggs with her batch. They look just like her and the black as chicks. Im expecting more soon.

The best pic I could get of her when she left the nest to eat snd drink

Thank you for taking the time to look at them and give them an evaluation. I do have a very nice splash hen who is brooding now. I had a barred rock hatch out a couple of her eggs with her batch. They look just like her and the black as chicks. Im expecting more soon.
The best pic I could get of her when she left the nest to eat snd drink
With just the picture of your hen I would say she is breeder quality, but then again I know hatching chicks can make them look rough!

She also looks to be silver partridge? She doesn't look splash. Its a little hard to judge birds from pictures, especially when its one where the subject is stretching out to eyeball the camera. Try to get some pics of her standing in a more relaxed pose :)

I did get a better pic of her yesterday. She has been sitting 2 weeks and starting to molt. I do trim around their eyes so they can see. The second is her about 2 weeks maybe.

Back
Top Bottom