Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I am new to BYC and this is my first post. My husband and I decided to raise chickens with our 4 kids (all under 12) a few months ago. We have 10 standard hens for eggs, 1 rooster who was supposed to be a pullet, 1 bantam Brahma (pet only) and 6 silkies (pets only).

Let me preface by saying that I do not breed, nor do I show, my silkies. However, I thought that this thread would give me the most reliable answers to my questions.

I have read nearly everything on BYC regarding vaulted skulls and have yet to find an answer...
Question 1: Should I have my children avoid petting the heads of our vaulted skull silkie chicks? (chicks are 2 weeks old) If so, should they avoid the heads of them when the chicks mature as well?
Question 2: We are planning on letting our silkies free range when they are grown. Are they too vulnerable for us to do this?

Thanks!

Vaulted skulls should not be petted or rubbed. Brain damage can occur, regardless of age. Silkies should never free range. Never ever. You will most certainly lose them. Even the hatchery silkies aren't likely to do well free ranging.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to BYC and this is my first post. My husband and I decided to raise chickens with our 4 kids (all under 12) a few months ago. We have 10 standard hens for eggs, 1 rooster who was supposed to be a pullet, 1 bantam Brahma (pet only) and 6 silkies (pets only).

Let me preface by saying that I do not breed, nor do I show, my silkies. However, I thought that this thread would give me the most reliable answers to my questions.

I have read nearly everything on BYC regarding vaulted skulls and have yet to find an answer...
Question 1: Should I have my children avoid petting the heads of our vaulted skull silkie chicks? (chicks are 2 weeks old) If so, should they avoid the heads of them when the chicks mature as well?
Question 2: We are planning on letting our silkies free range when they are grown. Are they too vulnerable for us to do this?

Thanks!

Yes I agree with chrisNchickens, vaulted skulls are fragile and should not be petted. As for free ranging, I disagree that they should not free range. Mine have for years and I haven't had a problem. I guess it depends on your location, resident predators, how much you keep an eye on them, etc.
Good luck with your chicken family! And any questions are always welcome! :)

Edited by Staff

Thanks!
When my children hold/pet our silkies I tell them to gently rub their backs. They are pretty docile and the kids have no trouble holding them. But yes stay away from their head.

I too let mine free range. As long as you are careful and watch then they will be fine. I would not advise letting them over night obviously. We let ours out first thing in the morning and usually put them back in the coop around 4 pm. We try to avoid dusk because that is when we have found the predators in our area have gone after our birds. Silkies do not see well and can be taken out from above easier than other chickens. But one of the nice things about having a roo is that he will watch over his hens and alert them to danger.

dont feel that way!
Check out your state forum people in your area will have ideas about predators and weather changes specific to you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Also check this out lots of knowledgeable people to answer any and all silkie questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Also look in the random ramblings you may find others with common interests AND chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/7/random-ramblings

It can be tough to be the new kid on the block I wish you much luck with your flock! and don't give up on BYC just yet too much useful information and support in the pages here.

Edited by Staff

As far as free-ranging, it depends on the birds. Show quality birds should never be free-ranged. Some time on the grass with direct supervision, yes. But never free ranging in the true sense of the word.

Edited by Staff

Thanks!
Silkies are vulnerable when free ranging. I don't have my silkies anymore, but have witnessed a hawk bounce off the netting I had over their heads as it dived for them. Where I live there are many hawks.

Some people don't have many predator problems, and others do.

My ever broody silkies eggs just hatched. There are four of them and for the first time I let her lay on all her eggs. They all have the dark skin and the five toes but two are not solid colors. Do silkies have mixed colors when their little? The father is white and one of the last ones she hatched came out identical to the father so much that I have trouble telling them apart.

To your questions.
Do not let your children pet your silkies on the head.. Allow them to pet the body of the silkie only... Even the adults must be handled with care...
Do not allow your silkies to free range unless you are with them. They cannot see UP and therefore cannot run from hawks and such.. I allow my silkies out of their run only when I am armed and diligently watching. A predator can swoop down faster than I can run!!

Back
Top Bottom