Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I have a blue silkie hen and a splash silkie hen. Over them, I have a black silkie roo with some silver penciling in the hackle feathers.
Can show quality blue, black or splashes have silver penciling, or is that a disqualification or points off? And, what about gold penciling in the hackles of a blue, black, or splash?

Leakage isn't a good thing for showing blues and blacks. I believe they would deduct points for it, but I'm not positive since I don't show. You could still get some nice chicks though. You just have to be very selective and only keep back birds that don't have any leakage.

Horrible pictures i know but these are my new bearded babies :) 6 hatched from 9 shipped eggs :) i believe there are 2 splash, one blue, 1 buff, 1 lavender, and i have no clue what color that other one is so if anyone has a clue, please let me know lol

No no, I didn't mean that genetics was a crapshoot, I meant my understanding of it! Every time I think I have it down there is another aspect I learn or didn't consider. Lol

My end game is BBS, lavender and porcelain. Showgirl and Silkie. Is just a slow, work in progress. I'm trying to add in more color variety now. I wouldn't mind, just for fun, playing with color, but my focus is on the above.

I am only talking about temporarily housing them together anyway until I find a porcelain hen. I was looking for both but found the roo first. I just don't like housing birds together without knowing the end result of any breeding and if it's a combination that will produce something that will better my flock or at least not damage it.

He was already isolated for a while before I got him, and hate the idea of him alone for the time it takes me to find the right mates for him.

if you cross the porcelain roo with the blacks you will get black F1 offspring

Then back cross the porcelain roo with some of the F1 females- this cross will produce BC1 black, BC1 black mottled, BC1 porcelain and BC1 lavender offspring , The non-mottled offspring will carry one gene for mottling

I am assuming the porcelain is purebred for extended black, melanotic, lavender and mottling.

Last edited:
I want to breed this little silkie pullet soon, but first i'd like to establish a genotype for her. She's a tough colour to crack since I've never seen her parents so I cant tell if she's part partridge, or grey, or black, etc.

She surely has a beard (incomplete dominance Mb, so she'd bring down the bearded gene to her offspring depending on the father).

I'm going to assume because of her darker head and lighter body and erasing the bits of gold, she's grey (eb/eb) and possibly at least 1 dominant S gene for the gold/red?

Possibly she's Smoky E/E I/IS, if that's a gene in Silkies.

I don't see a specific pattern so I'm going to assume she has pg+/pg+, but carries possibly Cb or maybe Di.

Any help would be much appreciated! I never got to see her as a little chick or her parents so I'm just going to use my own eyes to scope out what could be!

if you cross the porcelain roo with the blacks you will get black F1 offspring

Then back cross the porcelain roo with some of the F1 females- this cross will produce BC1 black, BC1 black mottled, BC1 porcelain and BC1 lavender offspring , The non-mottled offspring will carry one gene for mottling

I am assuming the porcelain is purebred for extended black, melanotic, lavender and mottling. 

Thank you! This is exactly what I was wanting to know. Really appreciate the response. I've got them all together for now, but finally got my blue cream/porcelain (I suppose blue cream is the more accurate name for these now a days) hen to pair with him.

Here they are. I wish I had a more accurate genotype for them. I know who their breeder is (same for both) so I may contact her for more information.

Last edited:
I'm going to get some lavender and porcelain silkies soon. I usually stick to bbs silkies so this is new to me. How should I set up my breeding pens?

Hi everyone I've been shadowing this thread for a while and thought to ask a question.
Does it matter what colour silkie rooster i put with my LS hens if i want gold tops as i was recently told that if i did hatch out my eggs I'd get Goldtop even though my roo is a white silkie. If what i was told was correct could some please explain how as the only reasonable explanation I can think of is that Gold is the Silkies natural colour.
Thanks,
Taimon

Back
Top Bottom