Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

What colors could I hatch if they were in a pen together?  I also have white and bbs silkies I could put them with.  I was just wondering, as far as genetics, which pen would produce the nicest colored chicks?  

If you keep the porcelains and lavs together, you'll get porcelain and lav. I don't recommend mixing them with your other colors. Any other color you breed to lav, will be split to lav. And lav and blue can look very similar. The buff from the porcelain would likely pop out as leakage in your B/B/S pen. When you mix anything with white, what the chicks will look like is anyone's guess. When you're penning up birds for breeding, its best to keep your colors separate so you don't muddy other colors. Or create birds with hidden genetics that pop up later (unless you just want to pen them all together and be surprised) :)

Hi everyone I've been shadowing this thread for a while and thought to ask a question.
Does it matter what colour silkie rooster i put with my LS hens if i want gold tops as i was recently told that if i did hatch out my eggs I'd get Goldtop even though my roo is a white silkie. If what i was told was correct could some please explain how as the only reasonable explanation I can think of is that Gold is the Silkies natural colour.
        Thanks, 
             Taimon

Sorry, what are LS hens? I'm having a moment. I suppose you could get gold from white birds, depending on what genetics the white is hiding. White in Silkies is recessive, so requires to copies to present itself. Its basically as if someone painted a chicken of another color white, whatever other color(s) they are underneath are still there, just hidden. White wouldn't be my first choice...

If you keep the porcelains and lavs together, you'll get porcelain and lav. I don't recommend mixing them with your other colors. Any other color you breed to lav, will be split to lav. And lav and blue can look very similar. The buff from the porcelain would likely pop out as leakage in your B/B/S pen. When you mix anything with white, what the chicks will look like is anyone's guess. When you're penning up birds for breeding, its best to keep your colors separate so you don't muddy other colors. Or create birds with hidden genetics that pop up later (unless you just want to pen them all together and be surprised) :)

Thanks that helps a lot. I'll keep the porcelain and lavender silkies in a pen together to ensure I get nice chickens for breeding.

Sorry LS is Light Sussex and thanks for that I am trying to find a different coloured rooster to put with them but was just curious.

Last edited:
OK, so I have 4 silkie chicks now. I believe 2 splash, one buff, and 1 lavender. Too young to tell sex yet but assuming all possibilities, could I get anything may from breeding the colors together?

Last edited:
OK, so I have 4 silkie chicks now. I believe 2 splash, one buff, and 1 lavender. Too young to tell sex yet but assuming all possibilities, could I get anything may from breeding the colors together?

You'll get a bunch of mixed color birds. Your buff and lavender could make porcelain, but since they aren't an accepted variety, they're still considered a non standard color.

If your 2 splashes end up being a pair, they will make more splash.

Last edited:
You'll get a bunch of mixed color birds. Your buff and lavender could make porcelain, but since they aren't an accepted variety, they're still considered a non standard color.

Thank you. What really stinks is that I also had a blue but it didn't make it. Would've been nice to have BBS. I may have to add more in later :)

How about if a white gets thrown in the mix? Anything neat come of that? I just remembered my daughter's silkie out in the other brooder. She's hatchery quality and nonbearded unfortunately but just out of curiosity.

Ok So I am new to breeding silkies this year. My partridge rooster is show quailty, some of my hens are nicer than others. My daughter wants to take one to the fair, so out of the first hatch, we kept the nicest chick plus one that was left over to keep her company. The nice chick has developed this weird "tic" with its head bobbing all over on occasion. I have treating with various remadies, not getting worse but not improved enough for her to go to fair in july.
The other silkie we kept with her (just one that didn't sell to keep the nice one company) could go to fair in the any other breed category, but his feet are not the greatest. His 4th/5th toes are my concern...Otherwise he's not too bad looking. Here is a pic of his feet....what would you do???

You won't hurt my feelings if he's not worth taking to the fair :). He's was hatched Jan 31st - just barely attempting a crow.

Please advise!

Back
Top Bottom