Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

If it's a local fair I wouldn't be that concerned. The main thing judges look at for the feet is the correct number of toes. The correct spacing is not as crucial. I think it's worth a shot and it's also a great experience even if you don't place. Also, if you're looking for a nice show quality silkie, I have a black bearded rooster and I'd be happy to give him to a great home.

Last edited:

Look up wry neck in silkies for the bobbing head. It's treatable and it is not contagious.

Last edited:
How about if a white gets thrown in the mix? Anything neat come of that? I just remembered my daughter's silkie out in the other brooder. She's hatchery quality and nonbearded unfortunately but just out of curiosity.

White is unpredictable. In Silkies, white basically covers up what color the bird really is (like it was painted over). What you'd get from the white would depend on what genetics its hiding :)

What color chicks would I hatch if I had a blue silkie rooster over paint hens?

I'd imagine you could get some paints with blue spots, and probably a lot of off colored chicks. Since paints are still in project phase, they don't exactly breed true. I know two paints can throw paints, birds with red leakage, what some call pearl or champagne and some other colors.

Does the chick with the head tick have a vaulted skull? It sounds like it bumped or took a well placed peck to the head and has some neurological issues. One of my roosters does the same thing. One of my hens pecked him real good on the head when he was first introduced and he's done it ever since. At first, it was so bad he couldn't even focus on things he was trying to peck at on the ground, his head would go crazy. I treated/occasionally treat him with vitamin E capsules (just pop the cap and drip the liquid into the beak) and selenium. He's much better, but does occasionally need a follow up treatment. Other than his occasional vitamins, he lives a normal rooster life :)

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas! Yes, this chick does have a vaulted skull - maybe she did get pecked hard early in life. I have been currently treating the nice chick with st john's wart, sunflower seeds and electrolytes in the water. I've been doing that for a couple weeks and I'd say she has improved, but still has "spells" and I fear what the vet at the fair might say! Some one else suggested vitamin E and and anti inflammatory - turmeric powder. I might look into that.

It's ok if we have to take the other one, I just wanted her to do well. For selfish reasons, I am trying to starting a little silkie breeding/hatching business - So it would be great for her to get a nice blue ribbon for both of us :)

Hi all
I breed and show silkies
And I just thought I would share a picture
Of one of my best silkie hens

Hello I'm just wondering is my silkie classed as pure bred(he has five toes and feathered feet and should I use this young rooster to create my silkie flock

Hello I'm just wondering is my silkie classed as pure bred(he has five toes and feathered feet and should I use this young rooster to create my silkie flock

He looks like a non bearded Silkie to me. I see some things that I would consider undesirable (like his small crest and the lack of feathers on his feet) but those could easily be addressed by putting him with hens that have large crests and heavily feathered legs and feet. If he's got his extra toes, blue earlobes, dark skin without pigment holes. ect, you could certainly use him. But, you'd obviously be off to a much better start if you could find a better rooster. I realize that isn't always the easiest task, and sometimes you have to work with what you've got. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom