Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

This is one of our 3 month old silkies. She is the only one that has smooth feathers and hee skin isn't dark like the other 2...is she a cross breed??

I have four pullets: 3 paint Silkies and a black split to paint. What would be the best color rooster to breed to these girls to get nice loud paints? Black or Paint?

Advice needed!

Our county fair is quickly approaching. I just started breeding and hatching silkies this year (so I am still learning!!) and my daughter wants to take one of our hatching to the fair. So we kept 2 nice chicks this early spring. We ended up with one hen and one rooster.

The hen seems to have. Little hydrocephalus and bobbles her head around her and there. Although I think she is very nice looking, I am guessing the bobbing head is a dq. So we were planning on taking the rooster. He's been growing real nice - and then his comb started coming in....it is a single comb!!! Not the walnut like comb he is supposed to have. He is no bearded - is this a dq as well?? I have added a couple pics - let me know what you think! Fair is at the end of July....
[/IMG]

Advice needed!

Our county fair is quickly approaching. I just started breeding and hatching silkies this year (so I am still learning!!) and my daughter wants to take one of our hatching to the fair. So we kept 2 nice chicks this early spring. We ended up with one hen and one rooster.

The hen seems to have. Little hydrocephalus and bobbles her head around her and there. Although I think she is very nice looking, I am guessing the bobbing head is a dq. So we were planning on taking the rooster. He's been growing real nice - and then his comb started coming in....it is a single comb!!! Not the walnut like comb he is supposed to have. He is no bearded - is this a dq as well?? I have added a couple pics - let me know what you think! Fair is at the end of July....
It sounds like the first one might have wry neck. It is treatable with vitamins and supplements, and it would probably be ok for the fair. Check it out online.

I have four pullets: 3 paint Silkies and a black split to paint. What would be the best color rooster to breed to these girls to get nice loud paints? Black or Paint?

I believe you'd want to breed to black, which would give you black and paint chicks (and help improve type if that needs work). If you breed paint to paint, you get black, paint and white. I think I'm remembering that correctly anyway. I saw a breeding chart for them not too long ago. I'll have to see if I can find it again. I'm not sure which pairings would give you the loudest spots though, maybe they could make a recommendation on the paint Silkie thread :)

I believe you'd want to breed to black, which would give you black and paint chicks (and help improve type if that needs work). If you breed paint to paint, you get black, paint and white. I think I'm remembering that correctly anyway. I saw a breeding chart for them not too long ago. I'll have to see if I can find it again. I'm not sure which pairings would give you the loudest spots though, maybe they could make a recommendation on the paint Silkie thread :)

Thank you for your response! I was leaning toward breeding them with a black rooster. I think that'll probably darken their spots, too. I feel like paint x paint would lead to ones with more dilute spots. The black would have to be split for paint, though, right?

It sounds like the first one might have wry neck.  It is treatable with vitamins and supplements, and it would probably be ok for the fair. Check it out online.

Thank you! I have tried treating her with turmeric and b vitamins in the water - it has improved some but still pretty obvious when she does it. That's why her name is Bobbles lol!

Back
Top Bottom