Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hey everyone, I have some ~3month old silkies that I was planning on showing either this October or next year. My question is that are there any physical characteristics or traits that you notice that would mean a DQ or a reduction in points in a show? Any and all input will be much appreciated.

Hey everyone, I have some ~3month old silkies that I was planning on showing either this October or next year. My question is that are there any physical characteristics or traits that you notice that would mean a DQ or a reduction in points in a show? Any and all input will be much appreciated.

They look pretty good. I don't see any DQs. Just make sure they have 5 toes. Having less or too many toes is a common DQ. The partridge hens look particularly good as far as type and crest fullness. The white ones' crests could be bigger and cover the comb area more. White silkies are the most common, so showing them is extremely competitive. It really depends on what level you are showing at (fair, state, national, etc). I don't breed partridge silkies, but I know there is specific coloring that they must have. It'd be a good idea to look into that or maybe someone who breeds the partridge ones will chime in. If you want to seriously get into showing I suggest buying the ABA Standard Of Perfection book. Here is a link to a summary of the Standard of Perfection for Silkies:
http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/standard.htm

They look pretty good. I don't see any DQs. Just make sure they have 5 toes. Having less or too many toes is a common DQ. The partridge hens look particularly good as far as type and crest fullness. The white ones' crests could be bigger and cover the comb area more. White silkies are the most common, so showing them is extremely competitive. It really depends on what level you are showing at (fair, state, national, etc). I don't breed partridge silkies, but I know there is specific coloring that they must have. It'd be a good idea to look into that or maybe someone who breeds the partridge ones will chime in. If you want to seriously get into showing I suggest buying the ABA Standard Of Perfection book. Here is a link to a summary of the Standard of Perfection for Silkies:
http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/standard.htm
They all have five toes on each foot and I believe the feathering stops in the middle of the third toe. Thanks, and yeah I was planning more on showing the three partridges as a trio than showing the white one. My main concern is that they all have brown eyes, which I heard was unfavorable. I also heard that showing colors like partridge is more difficult than solid colors because the plumage has to be a certain way. There's a state bird show coming up in October that I'd like to participate in. Thanks for the info and the link

They all have five toes on each foot and I believe the feathering stops in the middle of the third toe. Thanks, and yeah I was planning more on showing the three partridges as a trio than showing the white one. My main concern is that they all have brown eyes, which I heard was unfavorable. I also heard that showing colors like partridge is more difficult than solid colors because the plumage has to be a certain way. There's a state bird show coming up in October that I'd like to participate in. Thanks for the info and the link

Light eyes are unfavorable. Some judges really care about eye color and some aren't very particular. I advise against showing birds in trios or displays. If your trio doesn't win first place as a trio then none of the birds (even if they are the best) can win BB, BV, champion of the class and so on. You'll probably have better luck showing them individually.

Light eyes are unfavorable. Some judges really care about eye color and some aren't very particular. I advise against showing birds in trios or displays. If your trio doesn't win first place as a trio then none of the birds (even if they are the best) can win BB, BV, champion of the class and so on. You'll probably have better luck showing them individually.
oh, I read something about the show in October that said that individual birds shown in trios or displays can win best of breed and so on even if the others aren't win worthy, that's why I thought of doing a trio. It must be a bit different for each show I guess.

hi everyone. I just wanted to check in and see if you all still thought these were all girls? I couldn't get great pictures of them. They were rather uncooperative today. In the first three pictures, the one in the back I'm guessing might be a boy but I'm not sure.

Critiques? This is Morrocco, a 6 week old white Silkie. I'm taking her to the Ohio National and she will be up against some of the best silkies in the US, so no need to sugarcoat any opinions.

*please note she is not completely conditioned or bathed and groomed

6 weeks is too young to show, in my opinion. But she *might* do okay in the pullet class, depending on how much more mature the other pullets are. She's lovely, and I bet she'll be amazing once she fills out. Right now her back looks long and her cushion is seriously lacking, but that's just part of the gangly teenager phase.

Back
Top Bottom