Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I was at the farm store today and was just shopping around for feed ideas for my birds. Someone told me a ration of sweet feed helps. What do you feed your silkies? What about your chicks?

I showed a black cockerel and a blue that was tagged incorrectly that I didn't catch/correct. My black took first in his class but he was the only one! Seems like the poor judge didn't know what to do with my blue and his screwy tag so there was just a whole lot of scribbling on the card. Frank Goodfellow had that magnificent white hen (BB) and the big Blue cock. I've got some work to do to give him and his brood a run for their money!!! But I'm all in .... !
big_smile.png
Will make sure the tag is correct next time!
Yeah, we had a blue cockerel that might have done very well in the Juniors Class at Nationals, BUT the tag was wrong and it had him down as a Splash hen. I asked the people the night before the show to change it, but they said they could not do that, and they crossed it out and I asked them to write down BLUE and check cockerel. But he wrote down Blue and when I checked back later, he had wrote SPLASH back in!!?!? UGH. I didn't really even realize that it was a problem until he wasn't judged and COLOR was scrawled across his coop card. Next time, I will stay on it and make SURE they change it correctly before judging. Lesson learned, I've never run into that before.

I think he is the one who suggested Self Blue Cream on the ASBC forum; the brahmas look like photo-negative coronation
big_smile.png
They are beautiful! Okay, that's an interesting name! On the long side, but oh well, it is fitting.

I was at the farm store today and was just shopping around for feed ideas for my birds. Someone told me a ration of sweet feed helps. What do you feed your silkies? What about your chicks?
I just use a layer feed (crumbles) for my adult birds and then toss in a cup of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) each day for an added boost. :)

I liked the splashes a lot. Some really nice ones there. Who is it that showed them? Barb?
Also - wish you had have shown some of your partridge birds!
Hawkeye, can you insert your images another way? I can't click them :/ I really want to see the cock in a larger image :p

Barbara dodington and Sara Potts showed all the beautiful silkie pullets I showed one cockerel and Sara showed the other one

Sara showed the Splash pullet that won the day (BB out of 40 that showed up.) We didn't have a motherload of colour in Canada but better than we usually have!

I could of brought other colors to bright en the show but I knew they wouldn't go anywhere so didn't bring them but maybe I should of I could of added buff,partridge,columbian and self blue my partridge might of done well as the boy is from catdance and the girl is very nice but I didn't want to bring to many but I decided next year I'm just going to show and stop being worried

Back
Top Bottom