Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Here's an update on that darned black hen.....she's still molting. The birds are temporarily housed in the barn during Hurricane Sandy. So, I went out to the barn to check on them before lights out and that hen had black feathers EVERYWHERE. It looked like something had attacked her and left the feathers everywhere. I didn't realize that she was losing so many. She is very quiet and mopey...I guess that is normal for a molt?

Here's an update on that darned black hen.....she's still molting. The birds are temporarily housed in the barn during Hurricane Sandy. So, I went out to the barn to check on them before lights out and that hen had black feathers EVERYWHERE. It looked like something had attacked her and left the feathers everywhere. I didn't realize that she was losing so many. She is very quiet and mopey...I guess that is normal for a molt?

Exploding pillow. It happens.
tongue.png

Quote: Most shows require that the breed, variety and class (C, H, K, P, OT, YT) remain the same as entered. Sometimes even with that stated in the rules they let you make a change, other times they do not. Larger shows are more likely to use software for entries that prints out coop tags, judging sheets and show reports; making last minute changes messes the whole thing up.

Yep!! I have a silkie right now going through a very hard molt and she lost all her back feathers! They are just now coming in. But it looked like a dog attack-- feathers everywhere! Once they are molting, they do slow down and seem to lay around. Even my big girls are out there dust bathing and laying around for their molt.

Coronation is essentially the light (columbian) pattern in lavender. From feathersite:

And from http://americansussexbreeders.webs.com/coronationsussex.htm:
WOW-- gorgeous!!

Most shows require that the breed, variety and class (C, H, K, P, OT, YT) remain the same as entered. Sometimes even with that stated in the rules they let you make a change, other times they do not. Larger shows are more likely to use software for entries that prints out coop tags, judging sheets and show reports; making last minute changes messes the whole thing up.
Before I sent in my filled in forms where I listed their band numbers with corresponding breed, variety, etc... I ran a copy of all the forms I filled out on my copy machine and then brought it with me so I'd know what I'd done when I got there. I showed them MY copy of the form I filled out and sent in and showed them that the band number on my COCKEREL was not a splash, or a hen. SO annoying that they made such a big mistake and then drug their feet not wanting to fix it. I'm glad I brought my copy of the forms, or I might have thought I accidentally made a mistake, but no way. It was all right there.. they just were wishy washy about doing anything about it, and in the end, didn't when I thought they did. They made a mess of the card crossing it out over and over and changing it back.

Yep!!  I have a silkie right now going through a very hard molt and she lost all her back feathers!  They are just now coming in.  But it looked like a dog attack-- feathers everywhere!  Once they are molting, they do slow down and seem to lay around.  Even my big girls are out there dust bathing and laying around for their molt.

WOW-- gorgeous!!

Before I sent in my filled in forms where I listed their band numbers with corresponding breed, variety, etc... I ran a copy of all the forms I filled out on my copy machine and then brought it with me so I'd know what I'd done when I got there.  I showed them MY copy of the form I filled out and sent in and showed them that the band number on my COCKEREL was not a splash, or a hen.  SO annoying that they made such a big mistake and then drug their feet not wanting to fix it.  I'm glad I brought my copy of the forms, or I might have thought I accidentally made a mistake, but no way.  It was all right there.. they just were wishy washy about doing anything about it, and in the end, didn't when I thought they did.  They made a mess of the card crossing it out over and over and changing it back.
I always forget to write in bearded when I go to enter the silkies.. Ah well. Does anyone else do this?

Christina brought Porcelians/Isabel (whatever we are calling them) to E. Nationals and the judges had her label them with a name I now forget. Hopefully she will pop back up and tell you what they wanted. Which is interesting... because no one seems to know what GM wants to call them, even though I've read on other groups, the ASBC site, etc that they will ask him. Has he never responded? Or is he still pondering?

WOW, these are gorgeous! I have never seen this color! Is this called Pearl Grey for Brahms? They are stunning!
Hi..I believe GM wanted them to be called self blue cream so thats what i called them and the judge was fine with that name. It was a name brought up on the asbc site,..There was a beautiful porcelain duuclle right by the silkies so it was great to actually compare that to the silkie variety ..I will stick with self blue cream .

Back
Top Bottom