Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

As for people passing off "junk" as pets, what is the concern there? That they will try to reproduce these crappy silkies with other crappy silkies to make even crappier silkies? Ah, I say...Let them!! If they want to sell their junk as someone else's treasure then go ahead. No one in the showing business will take the bird seriously, and anyone that actually goes out to research the bird will do so BEFORE getting ripped off on something like that.

I have heard more than a handful of "top" breeders say that they won't sell anything less than top show/breeding stock, period. Because of the junk. They sell something off as "pet quality" and the next thing you know, there is an ad for birds from so and so's lines out of that junk. Then a whole lot of unhappy people down the line buying because they believed they were getting birds from swanky lines. Absolutely, buyer beware, but it's hard on the guy whose name is at the end of the line when those newbies get taken. I've seen it happen with Marans, Ameraucanas, and Silkies.
idunno.gif

oh - and i'm not concerned about them being "show" quality. I just wanted some neat pet quality chickens to add to my flock.
smile.png
Welcome vsolosky! Here you will find a lot about breeding and showing silkies. I began by owning just a few hatchery ones myself..and now have a flock that I plan to show soon. I can become an enjoyment(obsession) quite fast! Beautiful coloring to your birds. Looks like you have three roosters and one hen. The one with a single comb is probably a silkie cross or had a recessive trait show up in his comb. It does happen occasionally in show quality flocks and often more in hatchery flocks.

Here is a link to another silkie forum you might enjoy too. Lots of people post great info on raising birds, health issues, and cute pictures as well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/27040#

There are so many fascinating things on these forums. If I didn't have a job or kids, I would probably be online all the time! Haha!

I have heard more than a handful of "top" breeders say that they won't sell anything less than top show/breeding stock, period. Because of the junk. They sell something off as "pet quality" and the next thing you know, there is an ad for birds from so and so's lines out of that junk. Then a whole lot of unhappy people down the line buying because they believed they were getting birds from swanky lines. Absolutely, buyer beware, but it's hard on the guy whose name is at the end of the line when those newbies get taken. I've seen it happen with Marans, Ameraucanas, and Silkies.
idunno.gif
Ok--I get that. That'd be horrible if they did a sort of false advertising and used someone else's name just to make a few bucks. But still, I just don't get why a person wouldn't do the research for a product before slapping their money down. That's like being told that you are will be sold a beautiful "Louis Vuitton lineage" purse without actually asking the seller to back their product up. You know what you'll get in the mail? An old purse with the brand name stamped on the side.
th.gif

idunno.gif
yes i know some top breeders that kill all there silkies at the end of the year instead of selling them so they are known for Show quaility stock. personally i would rather sell PQ birds then kill them as all birds desearve a chance to live just becuase they arent perfect birds dosent mean anything. if people dont like how i will sell PQ birds i guess people wont buy from me but i will see

Ok--I get that. That'd be horrible if they did a sort of false advertising and used someone else's name just to make a few bucks. But still, I just don't get why a person wouldn't do the research for a product before slapping their money down. That's like being told that you are will be sold a beautiful "Louis Vuitton lineage" purse without actually asking the seller to back their product up. You know what you'll get in the mail? An old purse with the brand name stamped on the side.
th.gif
yes i agree i got caught a couple times when i frst started people would put a name to a bird and u would think its good quality not always i have found that u need to learn as much as u can about silkies so when u see what u are buying u know its good or bad my point is its best to learn that u can determine the quality and not the seller JMO

I dont really know of any top breeder who kill off their show birds rather than sell them...i know we will sell extras we own and yes they can beat my son but thats our choice...i do sell pet quality birds as some people have no interest in showing and want a cute bird. without paying the bigger dollars...we do not sell eggs or chicks as i dont want to hear that my eggs dont hatch or my chicks develop problems as people getting into birds dont realize not every bird is perfect. We are lucky that we get a high percentage of showable birds and dont have to hatch a lot to get what we need for the shows but also you need to do your research and understand how the lines work and what works for your stock. Catdance has lovely birds and has super hatchability on her shipped eggs.

yes i agree i got caught a couple times when i frst started people would put a name to a bird and u would think its good quality not always i have found that u need to learn as much as u can about silkies so when u see what u are buying u know its good or bad my point is its best to learn that u can determine the quality and not the seller JMO

Perhaps breeders should sell birds "anonymously" off Craigslist or the like. People can't use a breeder's name if they don't know what it is. IMO, though, there's nothing ultimately wrong in using a breeder's name to help sell your birds, unless your birds aren't really from those lines or are so far removed from those lines that genetically they're barely related. Knowing the lines one or two generations back can be helpful for the buyer, even if it isn't always a guarantee that the birds will carry the traits they want. In fact, sometimes it can help buyers avoid some breeder's lines. LOL

Perhaps breeders should sell birds "anonymously" off Craigslist or the like. People can't use a breeder's name if they don't know what it is. IMO, though, there's nothing ultimately wrong in using a breeder's name to help sell your birds, unless your birds aren't really from those lines or are so far removed from those lines that genetically they're barely related. Knowing the lines one or two generations back can be helpful for the buyer, even if it isn't always a guarantee that the birds will carry the traits they want. In fact, sometimes it can help buyers avoid some breeder's lines. LOL

i do agree when i bought birds from this very well known breeder it was my stupidity not his but i fully agree with ur statement

Quick question: I have a little chick that has an extra toe. I know it's a DQ but was wondering if I breed her it would pass on the chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom