Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

FIVE coyotes on your mare, Hawkeye??? Oh my GOSH! I would have been livid with rage (I'm sure that you were!)

I lost 11 guineas to a coyote attack this summer while I was at work, broad daylight right next to my garage. The following week I had one, middle of the day, jog thru my back yard right next to my coops while I was cleaning stalls. My cockatoo, who was out in her aviary, sounded the alarm which made me run from the barn and see him. Birds must all speak a similar language cause my silkies all dove for the coops when Parasol screamed. That did it - I've adopted a guard llama to keep those predators at bay...and enlisted the help of a small army with hunting skills for a spree...

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Beth's birds - absolutely heartbreaking....I can't even imagine. My prayers are with her...
Hey, I was expecting to see the word "Guard......dog", not "Guard Llama". I didn't know Llamas made good guard animals. Pretty cool.
smile.png

Sorry for picture overload. This is Fred. he is about 6 months old and appears to be molting. I found pin feathers on his back. Looking for opinions. He was a freebie I got of Craigslist about 2 months ago. He is my first silkie. Please let me know if I need to take different pictures, he was not very cooperative today! But he is cleaner!

Sorry for picture overload. This is Fred. he is about 6 months old and appears to be molting. I found pin feathers on his back. Looking for opinions. He was a freebie I got of Craigslist about 2 months ago. He is my first silkie. Please let me know if I need to take different pictures, he was not very cooperative today! But he is cleaner!

For a CL freebie I'd say you did pretty well. He carries his wings fairly high, although they have a gap, which they shouldn't. He should look really good in another month or two if he's just coming out of a molt. :)

Hello everyone. I have a Silkie who stopped eatting. I just Recently acquired her and they thought she was broody.. She's not very active and if I didn't know better I'd think she was but not showing another signs of being.
Any suggestions out there that I can do to get het to her normal self. I even trimmed her beautiful Maine so that she can see food and water. I have her in the tub and she's not defecating like she should be its pail yellow and watery. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Love his tail and feet. :D Wing gaps could improve or worsen. All in all a very pretty boy. :D

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have a Silkie who stopped eatting. I just Recently acquired her and they thought she was broody.. She's not very active and if I didn't know better I'd think she was but not showing another signs of being.
Any suggestions out there that I can do to get het to her normal self. I even trimmed her beautiful Maine so that she can see food and water. I have her in the tub and she's not defecating like she should be its pail yellow and watery. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Gatorade or pedialyte. Force feed a few drops into her, and that will hopefuly get her started drinking. Add liquid baby vitamins. Those should hopefully start her eating. Then you need to treat for coccidiosis. All ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom