Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

As promised, here's what protects my Orps........ The orchard is about 1/2 acre, completely covered oin 40 lb test monofilament line set at 1 foot intervals on the outer fence,coming in to the central pole. It shines in the sun, and the hawks and eagles circle but do not land.

Wow, that's quite the set up!

Last edited:
As promised, here's what protects my Orps........ The orchard is about 1/2 acre, completely covered oin 40 lb test monofilament line set at 1 foot intervals on the outer fence,cominging in to the central pole. It shines in the sun, and the hawks and eagles circle but do not land.

Wow! Thank you for sharing.

Would it have looked bad?

I think that he had a disease wipe out the rest, and didn't bother replacing them. The sad thing is that it was probably my fault. I got tired of my goldfish inside and added them to his pond. Killed everything. I was 12.

He didn't have many coy left at this point. Just mostly goldfish. It was a beautiful double pond with a waterfall too. He filled them in a few years ago when my nephew was born in fear of him falling in.

My MIL has the netting up again for Fall (to keep leaves out) so if I can remember, I'll try to take a picture of her pond!  I don't think it looks bad.  It's temporary.  She had it up for about 2-3 weeks as a deterrent for the heron and it finally gave up and never came back because she had her pond netted.  I know it wasn't up all summer long.  The netting literally skims the top of the water and her landscapers tucked it under little boulders and rocks all around the perimeter to keep the netting in place.  It's black, so it blends in really well with the deep color of the water, especially in the Fall when the leaves are falling.  You can still feed through it and keep your pumps working.  Yeah, I hear you on the baby and ponds.  I have wanted a water feature in our backyard as well, but have been worried about the kids.  My youngest is now 4yrs-- so I'm less nervous about the idea than I was when my kids were toddlers.
Thanks! I don't think he knew about this option at all.

I plan on building a pond myself for the geese/ducks, and also plan on having kids next year.

My dad never worried like that about us :rolleyes: But we were swimming really early. At 4 I could swim in the deep end. I'm a natural buoy :lol:

As promised, here's what protects my Orps........ The orchard is about 1/2 acre, completely covered oin 40 lb test monofilament line set at 1 foot intervals on the outer fence,coming in to the central pole. It shines in the sun, and the hawks and eagles circle but do not land.

This is awesome! Is it difficult to keep it taut? I would love to have this in my free range area...it would certainly make me rest easier when I take my eyes of the silkies to dart into the house or barn...

Back
Top Bottom