Silkie Breeding Troubles

nursemomab

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
Has anyone experienced troubles with their Silkie rooster successfully breeding due to amount of puffy feathers? I am wanting to buy a rooster and and 4 hens but this spring/summer there were no fertilized eggs from them. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't risk it and try to find another bunch just in case the rooster is actually unable to fertilize eggs.

Last edited:
The seller says that she has seen them many times. I waited on 2 batches of eggs from them that were incubated with no results. Now the seller is selling the 5 of them but Im a little concerned that if I buy them they won't be able to produce chicks. The rooster is a few years old but unsure on hens ages.

Has anyone experienced troubles with their Silkie rooster successfully breeding due to amount of puffy feathers? I am wanting to buy a rooster and and 4 hens but this spring/summer there were no fertilized eggs from them. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't risk it and try to find another bunch just in case the rooster is actually unable to fertilize eggs.

No I breed silkies and sell them. I have never had any problems with there fluffy feathers stopping the rooster from fertilizing the eggs.

Last edited:
So these aren't your birds, but someone else's you're wanting to buy, correct? if it's taken that long to get fertile eggs, I'd sure pass on the group myself. My little silkie guy only has a silkie hen and a bantam cochin hen, but he gets the job done pretty much every egg. It may be the rooster is older, but why take the chance?

Thanks for your replies! Ya they aren't my chickens. I was interested in purchasing. I figured I would see if that was a possible problem before passing on them. I told her I won't be taking them. Not worth the risk. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom