Silkie Chick Care... too young to bathe?

Will this work says call poision control if it gets on skin so help me

Oh my goodness All this Bathing stuff I had no idea! I just couldn't wait to get my silkies and have 5 and just love them!~ today was the first day I noticied a little poo on the roo so thought about washing them. Feet could use it also. they have never been bathed so i guess I can expect hysteria! They are about 4months . I wish I would have started with them really young -- oh well. they are quite tame though so maybe that will help heres hoping I will do with the grandkids on wed wish me lucK! ps Is baby shamp better due to possible soap in the eyes during the possible commotion?

I washed my White silkie when he was a week old because he had poo smeared on him I wrapped in a towel and used the blow dryer on low he loved it it calmed him down and he fell asleep during his beauty treatment. I did the same with my polish roo because of pasty.

I wouldn't wash them just to wash them when young, unless poopy butt or something sticky that needs to come off...Even when older, other than same couple of issues, we've never had a need to wash them...They do fine on their own, one day it'll rain and they'll be mud covered, the very next, all primped up and back to picture perfect!!!

I have a little 12 day old black silkie named Lou. She is very cute, but her leg feathers are a bit dirty. What soap, temp of water, and warmth of blow dryer should I use? I also have four 51 day old R.Is and Vlack Sex-links, plus a black ausralorp chick that is 40 days old. Same questions for the silkie for them. Thanks!
1f44d.png
1f414.png
1f44c.png

You don't leave anything on them for any length of time- they will get cold!!!!! Wash quickly, then for the "final rinse" have a bucket of warm vinegar water for dipping them into. Traditionally you would have a couple of buckets full of warm water- one for wash and one for rinse, then one of the vinegar water. I have found that my silkies don't get relaxed when I soak them in their "hot tub", but instead they flail and get stressed. My Old English Game do act relaxed and sedated when they're bath water, so I'm not sure if it'll work to soak your's or not. Either way, keep them from getting cold and over stressed. Oh, and I also have found that the silkies make the biggest splashing mess, so have plenty of towels on hand! After the bath, make a "chicken burrito" (roll them pretty tight in a towel) for a bit- I have a tiny space heater close to them so they don't get cold. After about 10 minutes, blow dry them on the lowest heat setting so they get dry quickly. I've found that this is the most amusing part- watching them go from drowned rat to puff ball in a matter of minutes. One last note, be very careful trying to get their head clean- easiest to get clean by using a wet washcloth and not trying to get their head soaking wet. Good luck!!
1f413.png

how much vinegar to water ratio do you use to "wash" the soap residues off?

I was wondering about this also - I have 2 5 week old silkies, and one of them just pooped on the other lol... I think I'm gonna have to break down and bathe him... On a related note, they love the strawberry yogurt combo i just gave them
1f602.png
1f425.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom