Silkie chicks and packing peanuts.

itstrist

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Grafton,Ohio

I ordered 6 Silkies from Ideal poultry & I went to pick them up today. I was expecting a few packing peanuts..I got 8 Silkies and 11 "packing peanuts" for warmth. they look to me like Rhode Island Red but I have no clue. they're little red chicks. all roosters I'm guessing. I have no way to keep them. I'm willing to give them all away for free. what should I do to get rid of them?! I only planned for 3 silkies and to give my friend 3. but now I have to accommodate 4 silkies and that's going to be a challenge with what I have let alone 11 roosters.. so what do I do with them? is there somewhere I can post them on this forum?

Last edited:
Wow! 11! Did you have to pay for them? Maybe they accidentally put someone else's order in with yours.

Take them to local swaps or list them on criagslist? Find your state's thread and ask around on there.

its possible that there are a few girls in the mix, as sexing isn't always 100% but it looks as though you have some cute chicks :)

I knew that the silkies were going to be straight run. won't know the gender of the for a couple months. I knew they were sending packing peanuts for warmth.. I was thinking like 5 or 6. definitely not 11. now I have 19 chicks. these are my first chickens. I can't even hold 5 chickens in my coop let alone 19. I posted an ad to craigslist and I also found the buy sell trade section of this forum. hopefully someone will want them.

Well goodluck with getting them good homes. you are correct silkies are very hard to sex. the males can become obvious very early on, and some not till quite late. the girls can become boys in a sense which is annoying, but I hope you get the girls you are after

Craig's List is a good idea. You should have some luck there. Post something in your local feed store or wherever you buy your feed. You will be able to get homes for them somehow! If not, try to find a farmer.

Good luck with your first chicks! They are a lot of fun, so enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom