Silkie color genetics

Pics
Hi all...new silkie owner here. Pet strictly but I have some curosity questions.

I currently have 4 partridge babies...and 1 black. The black is the offspring of 2 partridge parents. So does that mean the black baby will carry some or all brown (eb), gold (s+) & pattern gene (Pg) or is it just black? What offspring could I be seeing from this baby if bred to a partridge or another black?

I will get better pics this afternoon, this baby hatched on June 7th.

HPIM7232-2.jpg

My Delaware girl was fascinated with the little ones who are just coming out of quarantine

HPIM7242-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
If it was me I would go with a black hen, or even white, but would stay away from buff or partridge. He obviously have the silver gene in him to give him the silver hackles, I would not introduce anything with buff or red in it.

Quote:
NOT any gold gened bird. He is silver, so you could breed him to a grey hen, and work towards grey, or to a very black hen to introduce more melanizers. He is not a birchen--if he were, his saddle feathers would also be silver, and his breast would show silver lacing (although you wouldn't see it as lacing due to the silkied feathers.

Thank you SonoranSilkies. I was just curious about the little sweetie who much prefers your shoulder or chest to a "chicken" place. LOL Too cute and sweet.

Back
Top Bottom