Silkie color genetics

Pics
I was told this one was a vaulted white chick. with this tan coloring on it's neck and chest, does that mean it's carrying recessive white alleles in it's genetics? Any suggestions on what a good match for breeding would be?

My phone won't let me post alot at once, so bear with me please.
I breed buff silkies, and I just got three pullets for color variety - I don't intend to breed them now.
This one is a gray right? The extra coloring on her feathers is undesired, is there a color I could breed her with to help correct that in the offspring?
[/IMG]
Or a silver partridge?

I was told this one was a vaulted white chick. with this tan coloring on it's neck and chest, does that mean it's carrying recessive white alleles in it's genetics? Any suggestions on what a good match for breeding would be?
I'm not sure that will feather out tan/red. It might just be the blood of a blood feather. If it IS plumage pigment, then dominant white, not recessive, is more likely.

Ok genetics are confusing me, If I breed a white to a black I could get black, or white right ? the color would be solid no pattern? Would the blacks be diluted looking? Would the whites be bright white?

Just curious what will a splash roo and porcelain hen produce?. Thanks:)
Depends. There are so many different "porcelains" out there that really do not conform to the planned variety, that exactly what you have makes a difference. Splash will add one copy of blue to the offspring; unless it is carrying lav, the offspring SHOULD have only one copy of lav, and will not be significantly diluted as they should be.

Ok genetics are confusing me, If I breed a white to a black I could get black, or white right ? the color would be solid no pattern? Would the blacks be diluted looking? Would the whites be bright white?
What you are asking is the same as if you were asking if I breed a black to some unknown mix, what will I get. White is not a colour; it is an off-switch. Without a second copy of white to activate the switch (you lose the second copy when you breed to a non-white), whatever colour and patterns the white is carrying will go into the gene mix that determines appearance. Every white can be completely different in that regards.

Hi, Im new to silkies and I have a probably ridiculous question to ask. Im in the middle of reading about 4 different books about raising chickens. (None silkie specific) Anyway, I just finished reading a section about genetics and sexing. The book says something about pullets looking like their dad and cockerels like the mama hen and that this is always the case. Is there any truth to this? Am I misunderstanding some huge part? Because thats just too simple and my understand is nothing is that simple as far as sexing silkies!

Hi, Im new to silkies and I have a probably ridiculous question to ask. Im in the middle of reading about 4 different books about raising chickens. (None silkie specific) Anyway, I just finished reading a section about genetics and sexing. The book says something about pullets looking like their dad and cockerels like the mama hen and that this is always the case. Is there any truth to this? Am I misunderstanding some huge part? Because thats just too simple and my understand is nothing is that simple as far as sexing silkies!

that was too simplified, Females Do get their fathers Sexlinked genes, as the females cant pass theirs to their female offsprings, BUT the males also get a copy of the fathers sexlinked gene and also one copy of their mother sexlinked gene, now if the mother has a dominant sexlinked gene and father recessive, this creates whats called a sexlinks, for example, if Father is Rhode Island Red and Mother is a Light Sussex in this case Silver is dominant over gold(RIR have sexlinked gold) now if we do this cross, the Females will look very simmilar to RIR(maybe not as dark) and the males will look like light sussex males from chick all they way till they mature, at that point their usual Silver colored hackles and saddles will become yellow/straw colored.. but at hatch the males will look silver and the females orange/chestnutt

Back
Top Bottom