Silkie color genetics

Pics
Wow. Very
that was too simplified, Females Do get their fathers Sexlinked genes, as the females cant pass theirs to their female offsprings, BUT the males also get a copy of the fathers sexlinked gene and also one copy of their mother sexlinked gene, now if the mother has a dominant sexlinked gene and father recessive, this creates whats called a sexlinks, for example, if Father is Rhode Island Red and Mother is a Light Sussex in this case Silver is dominant over gold(RIR have sexlinked gold) now if we do this cross, the Females will look very simmilar to RIR(maybe not as dark) and the males will look like light sussex males from chick all they way till they mature, at that point their usual Silver colored hackles and saddles will become yellow/straw colored.. but at hatch the males will look silver and the females orange/chestnutt

Wow. Very informative. So basically now I just need to figure out what the dominant color is as far as the bredding pair that I choose from? Because the chick is obviously colored like dad.

Awesome
if you provide me the parents info as in color of male and female I can give you the aswers.

Awesome! Here goes: mom is painted dad is black. I picked out a black (tho the chick is not as dark as dad) there was 1 painted and he was sooo obviously a rooster. Stood tall the whole time. I really wanted him but in my heart I just knew roo. Thanks to all the awesome information in these forums I went it slightly educated tho the guy maybe thought I was a nut. (No doubt he's right)

Awesome
Awesome! Here goes: mom is painted dad is black. I picked out a black (tho the chick is not as dark as dad) there was 1 painted and he was sooo obviously a rooster. Stood tall the whole time. I really wanted him but in my heart I just knew roo. Thanks to all the awesome information in these forums I went it slightly educated tho the guy maybe thought I was a nut. (No doubt he's right)

well Unfortunately Paint is not one of those colors or genes found on the sex chromosome, its not sex linked, its Autosomal, which only means that both parents carry two copies of the genes and the gene is not located on the sex chromosome..

as for Paint x Black, this will produce Paint colored birds of both sexes, also black chicks of both sexes

well Unfortunately Paint is not one of those colors or genes found on the sex chromosome, its not sex linked, its Autosomal, which only means that both parents carry two copies of the genes and the gene is not located on the sex chromosome..

as for Paint x Black, this will produce Paint colored birds of both sexes, also black chicks of both sexes
Thank you so much for the info! I have lots to learn!

I'm still trying to learn color genetics. I struggle to really wrap my brain around it but hoped someone could help. If I put a Black roo over my white hen and she produced black chicks. Does that mean she is a recessive white? Thank you!!

Really need some info..my hubby wants to breed a Lavender silkie to a columbian silkie . Can someone tell me what colors he will get..can't find anything about the colors from that breeding. Also if I breed a paint to paint will I only get paint or will I also get blacks? And if I breed lavender male to my porcelain female what colors can I get? Can I get lavenders?

I'm still trying to learn color genetics. I struggle to really wrap my brain around it but hoped someone could help. If I put a Black roo over my white hen and she produced black chicks. Does that mean she is a recessive white? Thank you!!
Not necessarily. She could be dominant white with only one copy of that gene, which the black chick did not inherit. HOWEVER, unless the bird is from a paint breeding, you should assume that white silkies are recessive white.
wink.png

Really need some info..my hubby wants to breed a Lavender silkie to a columbian silkie . Can someone tell me what colors he will get..can't find anything about the colors from that breeding. Also if I breed a paint to paint will I only get paint or will I also get blacks? And if I breed lavender male to my porcelain female what colors can I get? Can I get lavenders?
Have you tried playing with the Chicken Calculator?

Back
Top Bottom