Silkie color genetics

Pics
No, he's not partridge. He was an accident. His mother was red and his father was blue.
roll.png
I made that purple color up. He kind of looks like partridge, but there is no partridge gene in there unless the red counts. If you need to see him, his picture is on my page. I have issues with posting on the forum.
hide.gif

Last edited:
No, I don't have pictures of his parents because they weren't mine. I bought them from Cherokee Rainbow. I never even saw what the mother looked like. I was just going on what she told me. I saw the father, who was definatly blue. I have always wanted a partridge! Yay!
ya.gif
bun.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
Maybe I'll let him stick around longer...

May I ask , What combination is the cuckoo . Why are their combs and wattles so red . I read on a site , oh I cann't remember the name now ,but that only the males can pass on the markings is this correct ? The hens they said could be barred beautifuly but they don't pass it on with out the cuckoo Roo . But the Roo could be breed to say black and the barring will be passed on. And why do so many lack in the barring marks ? The majority I have seen are very light almost gray blue or lavender kinda coloring and very little barring , but all have bright red combs and wattles . Tammy .B

I got probably one of the coolest Silkie colors I have seen yet, aside from paint. She is about two months old with a pure white crest, white breast, buff body and ginger colored hackles. Good type so far. I will photo her tomorrow.

Quote:
Not correct.Both will pass barring to their progeny. It is a sex-linked gene, however. The hen passes barring only to her sons; the cock will pass it to his children indescriminately. If he has two copies of the gene, all his children will inherit; with only one copy about half will inherit the barring from him and half will not, but the gender of offspring has no bearing on whether that chick will inherit or not.

Also, the barring gene dilutes or inhibits black pigment in the skin. That is why it is difficult to get cuckoo silkies with dark skin and combs.

Last edited:
Thank you sonoran silkies . I found a site I think would be useful if information there is correct . May I ask you to check it out and see if it is correct ? ( sites.google.com/site/zijdehoenders/todcreating/... ) it has alot of silkie genetics information on it . Sonoran silkies you are gift of knowledage , I cann't thank you enough for the many times you have tried to help me and others learn . Tammy .B

I have to ask , if barring gene dilutes or inhibits black pigment in the skin , do you give up on skin and comb color or should I say settle for what it is ? And work on stronger barring and type ? I haven't found anyone that is getting black skin with them or any color comb then red . I do have some cuckoo marans who have very dark lines on there feet ( now remember I am very new to any genetics ) what if I crossed back to them then back to full silkie , would I still use blk silkie ? The cuckoo silkies I have now are very lavender looking and bright red combs . Just thinking , so what about others has anyone had any luck with skin color ? share !! Tammy .B

Last edited:
Quote:
I wouldn't say give up, but instead keep trying to get the skin & comb color correct(those of us breeding them are hoping it will happen one day)...in the mean time I work on getting good type and good barring... Yes, for cuckoo silkies alway use black silkies as your silkie cross(whether it be cuckoo silkies or cuckoo marans or any barred type you wish to use if you chose to breed that way).

Back
Top Bottom