Silkie comb coloring

Dsotto

Chirping
May 4, 2020
Hi there! I have two nine week old silkies. One male and one female... I'll let you make the assumption on who is who because it's pretty darn obvious. :lol:
The male has these beautiful bright blue earlobes and dark comb and the female has kind of a greenish tint to her beak and comb? No noticeable earlobe coloring yet.

Is that normal in silkies? And if they happen to be a cross will the DNA testing I had done still be accurate?

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20210526_011347541.jpg
    PXL_20210526_011347541.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 42
It can happen, it's just an undesirable trait. Looks like your male also has mulberry coloring to his comb and wattles. You want to shoot for black.
I love the contrast! He's so beautiful. He started crowing at 8 weeks and I'll see how loud it develops but I'd like to keep him.

Will that green develop into a more green-green or still be black(ish)? I was kinda bummed to notice it today. At first I thought she was jaundiced and started freaking out!

I love the contrast! He's so beautiful. He started crowing at 8 weeks and I'll see how loud it develops but I'd like to keep him.

Will that green develop into a more green-green or still be black(ish)? I was kinda bummed to notice it today. At first I thought she was jaundiced and started freaking out!

Nah, it won't get greener. Darker maybe, but not greener.

Mulberry is the desired colour

It's close, but you actually want a color as close to black as possible. Described as "deep mulberry approaching black" in the standard if I remember correctly.

ETA: Just realized you're in the UK cause of how you spelled color. It might be different there, I'm quoting the APA here.

Last edited:
It's close, but you actually want a color as close to black as possible. Described as "deep mulberry approaching black" in the standard if I remember correctly.

ETA: Just realized you're in the UK cause of how you spelled color. It might be different there, I'm quoting the APA here.
You got me doubting myself so I went and looked it up. This version makes no mention of colour at all! 😂
https://silkiesintheuk.co.uk/the-silkie-club-of-great-britain-standard/

Back
Top Bottom