Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
Unfortunately I lost the silvery colored chick and the black chick that seemed to have dark skin is a boy. Showing very stong evidence of bring a boy at just 3 weeks of age.
So sorry for your loss! Hmmm, maybe it doesn't work with mixed breed hens? I hadn't tried that... all the Silkie crosses I had hatched were by purebred yellow skinned hens... :/ I just relooked at your pics and looks like the black chick has yellow feet bottoms, that actually indicates yellow/yellowish skin... maybe the dark is the color of his muscle and not the skin?? :confused:
"dark skin means girl, light/yellow will be boy...« It's possible that dark skin chick is a boy. These three are mine, around 11 weeks old; mam is naked neck and dad is silkie; one dark skin is a girl, but the other one is a boy. The third chick is a boy, has no naked neck and yellow skin: this hen is from last year naked neck and silke dad:
I've only tried it with pure Silkie roo and a purebred yellow skinned hen... all the dark skinned chicks were pullets and light skinned were cockerels... :/

I did some reading about black skin genetics… it's no simple thing; black skin is determent with gene FM, but also with gene that repress FM…http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3245302/ ; http://www.extension.org/pages/6536...backyard-flocks:-an-introduction#.Vhy2qStRKxU . It looks like if you breed pure silkie roo and non silkie hen... all the dark skinned chicks will be pullets and light skinned cockerels. The only eksplenation about my dark skin boy is that the parents were someting else; it's possible that the mother is white naked neck silke cross and the father is naked neck and the chick inherit the dark skin from his mother...

Went to a small a small animal sell this weekend and while I didn't plan on any purchase I fell in love. I know these aren't pure despite the sellers insistent of them being so But that didn't matter. They're 6 months and name tuff and fluff lol, my question is are there any guesses to what they may be crossed with. Btw he was also selling easter eggers could that possibly be the mix in question ,

Tuff

Fluff

I have some chicks, that look similar to your chipmunk looking chicks. Tell me what you think. Hopefully the pictures come through properly.

The last two pics are just to show off my other Silkie mixes.

"dark skin means girl, light/yellow will be boy...« It's possible that dark skin chick is a boy. These three are mine, around 11 weeks old; mam is naked neck and dad is silkie; one dark skin is a girl, but the other one is a boy. The third chick is a boy, has no naked neck and yellow skin: this hen is from last year naked neck and silke dad:
I love your dark skinned NNs. Hopefully I'll have some down the road. Of course I want them to lay blue and green eggs too so it may be a bit before I have that particular combination.

Back
Top Bottom