silkie down- suggestions

jjlyncfy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
We have that is about 5 months old. This is a purchased bird that we just received 3 days ago. Upon arrival we isolated her in a plastic dog kennel in a horse stall away from our other birds. Loose with her was a 5 month old English Orp that we received on the same day. Orp is definetely more aggressive - so we cannot keep the two birds together.

The Silkie never was terrible active - but she did eat well upon arrival. At time we rotated the birds so the silkie wouild have more space. We noticed that yesterday the silkie bird did not want to move. Would stand - but just did not want to move around. Was still eating. Today, the silkie seems pretty much down. does not even want to stand.

She does not seem to have any physical issues (We had an earlier silkie that slipped a tendon. So we have been keeping an eye out for physical issues.

I know it's tough to diagnose on-line. And it could be one of a number of issues. Not knowing the birds history makes it tough - but the bird itself seems to have been well fed and care for previously. We gave her 0.5 cc of a vitamin drench. We broght her in our house to keep an eye on her. (Might the isolation be bad? Previous owner wondered if the bird was lonely)

Looking for any suggestions here that might help. Thanks much in advance.

Gary & Julie

I noticed yesterday - she was tending to "wipe her beak" so to speak on the bedding. Not sure what that means - if anything.

I've been around a lot of animals - and even more commercial animals including poultry. But new to the back yard birds.

Does seem to be passing stools. so I don't think she's plugged up.

Thanks again, Gary

Well - following up on the "might be lonely....: suggestion, Julie took the bird out in the plastic by the other birds. silkie did respond - raised its head, then tried to turn around. Then - silkie seemed to go into an uncontrolled seizure. I really thought this was the end of the bird. That was about 20 min ago. Bird is still alive, but non to barely responsive.

Just a couple of minutes ago - Julie gave the bird about 7 cc water. Julienow reports the bird has its head up.

I don't see a good prognosis on this. Will do some searching for siezures. again - any thoughts are appreciated. Gary

Note to moderator. Thank you for moving the post. I typically do not use this forum - birds are not my project. But just trying to help out.

Last edited:
Post script: After a couple even more horrific seizures, I put the bird down. Outcome was terminal.

Really wish I could determine the cause of this.

Back
Top Bottom