Silkie duck egg adventure

foxvalleyfarm

Songster
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
North Carolina
OK so I ordered and paid for half a dozen silkie duck eggs last night. Hopefully they will ship Thursday otherwise I'll have to wait til Monday for them to ship. I'm trying to decide if I should use my still air Little Giant incubator that thus far has proven to hold Temps rock steady wherever I put them. Or my homemade that has a fan and because of the light and all the Temps swing about 3 degrees. It's had a 100% hatch rate with home chicks. Also what Temps and humidity are best for these little guys?

I have a coupled silkie eggs from my own hens currently in the incubator with a dozen duck eggs. Temp and humidity are the same as for any chicken egg. Because I have different eggs in my incubator, I have the humidity at 50%.
Because you're using eggs you've bought, I would use your most dependable incubator. With bought eggs, I would take as few risks as possible. If you're just using your chickens eggs, I'd say experiment. Good luck!

I trust both incubators and both have great hatch rates. I'm just wondering if the more stable still air or the lightly fluctuating forced air would be better.

hm. I've read duck eggs get better hatch rates using the wet method (i don't remember the technical name for it at the moment)

Back
Top Bottom