Silkie has swollen eye!

gabz44

Chirping
Dec 26, 2015
Would love some advice. I noticed that one of my silkies tonight had a swollen eye. It looked like she couldn't open it. See pic - I also noticed in the past couple week all of my silkies have lost the feathers on their head. I was told it could be molting but could also be that they are getting pecked at...?? Don't know if this is related or not. I separated her from the flock and she's comfy in my garage in a fenced off area. Any advice ??

I am so sorry about your baby. Is there any wheeping at the eye, any respiratory distress or mouth breathing associated with this eye trouble? If so, I would suspect a sinus infection or some sort of respiratory ailment going on to which you might get her started on some Duramycin or Tylan.

If you are sure there is no respiratory ailment going on at all, then I might think she got pecked in the eye or above the eye. If you have any teramycin eye ointment or other antibacterial eye ointments for human use, you can put these in her eye. You might also flush her eye with a saline solution first to make sure nothing is in the eye or stuck to the eye ball.

Back
Top Bottom