Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
oh going well, you will get quite a few from the sound of things.

I wonder how RosyAmanda is going?

Lockdown began here this morning, but tonight I'm planning to do a fast candle to see if an internal pips have started, had external pips on day 19 last time, so they could begin at any time. Feeling anxious and excited. Ruby must be close to lockdown also?

So day 21 for my two eggs. I lost one of them; had a bad feeling so candled - he never pipped at all. The only thing I noticed was he had his beak on top of his right wing instead of under it. Also, when I received the eggs in the mail, it was the only egg that was shipped upside down! He (or she) was going to be a very beautiful silkie and breaks my heart that I lost him. My other egg has pipped and is making noises. I'm not willing to lose this one! I'm staying home from work today and watching it like a hawk!
Congrats Ciryluk3g! I'm so happy for you!!! Adorable! Paint is my favorite!
Ruby,
I hope your air cells turn out alright. I have 17 that will go into lockdown today and several of them have really large saddle-shaped air cells too.
Thanks for the support you guys!

Chick number 3 is out thought it was black at first but now think it's blue, maybe blue splash? Think I'll have to wait until it drys.. anyway not an expert on chicken genetics but not a colour I was expecting so a nice surprise :) .... Wrong end pipper still working it's way through chipping at its shell I've a feeling it may make it out without assistance... another miniature paint has pipped and 3 more mixed bantam silkie eggs have pipped (in addition to the malpositioned one) so 6/6 for those :D

Congrats!!! Sounds like it is going awesome. Hatch day is by far my favorite day. If I could hatch everyday I would. I just LOVE starring in the incubator seeing those little beaks sticking out the pip hole and hearing them chirping. It makes me soo happy! Are those local eggs or shipped?

oh going well, you will get quite a few from the sound of things.

I wonder how RosyAmanda is going?

Lockdown began here this morning, but tonight I'm planning to do a fast candle to see if an internal pips have started, had external pips on day 19 last time, so they could begin at any time. Feeling anxious and excited. Ruby must be close to lockdown also?

No, I don't lockdown until Monday. And another one quite yesterday! :hit
I wanted to tell you to make sure you get the humidity & temp up in the room before opening the incubator to candle. I know it's winter there and I don't want to see you have any more trouble with shrink wrapping! :hugs

So day 21 for my two eggs. I lost one of them; had a bad feeling so candled - he never pipped at all. The only thing I noticed was he had his beak on top of his right wing instead of under it. Also, when I received the eggs in the mail, it was the only egg that was shipped upside down! He (or she) was going to be a very beautiful silkie and breaks my heart that I lost him. My other egg has pipped and is making noises. I'm not willing to lose this one! I'm staying home from work today and watching it like a hawk!
Congrats Ciryluk3g! I'm so happy for you!!! Adorable! Paint is my favorite!
Ruby,
I hope your air cells turn out alright. I have 17 that will go into lockdown today and several of them have really large saddle-shaped air cells too.
Thanks for the support you guys!

Paint are my favorite too. (I say that about a lot of colors though). I'm sorry you lost that egg. I've done eggtopsies and I have seen a lot of fully formed chicks that look like they would have been beautiful! Especially the silkies with the really vaulted skulls. Those seem to DIS for me. It is so sad, I know how you feel. Update on the pip when you can. I would have stayed home too! :)

Yeah, it seems like sometimes the skull can be too vaulted and they don't make it to lockdown. I lost a black one a couple days ago with a super vaulted skull. :(
My egg hasn't made anymore progress. It's just hanging out with it's beak out but the rest of the body and face is still covered. It has been peeping on and off all morning. From what I can see so far (very little) it might be a splash!

Well I think I'm done for this hatch a long... My wrong end pipper didn't make it.. I had 3 remaining eggs that I didn't have a good feeling about so I candled them while I took the malpositioned chick out... All 3 had receded faint veins so I suspected dead 2 of them were mini paints with terrible aircells running from one end of the egg to the other... I water candled all 3 and nothing so eggtopsied them... 2 fantastically marked paints dead in their shells but in the right position to hatch they had more black than my living paints... remaining egg was a black sillie malpositioned.... The chick that pipped the wrong way I decided to assist only to discover it had already died :'( Not to worry these things happen and I never expect brilliant results from shipped eggs 50% is average and that's what I have got... So this is what I have hatched.... 2 Mini paints, 1 Normal Bantam sized paint, 2 blue and 1 I think is partridge I'm quite happy with those :)

So, I'm down to 7 eggs!! :eek:
Another one bit the dust yesterday! It's just so sad. But on the flip side, 4 of them have perfect circle air cells! So I laid them down on their sides. I'm wondering if the ones that died between days 10-12 died because they weren't turned enough?? Because it looks like the dead embryos are on the side of the egg. I don't know but I feel more comfortable hand turning the ones that have the good air cells to exercise and strengthen the chicks. The other 3 are still in the cartons because the air cells are going down the side of the egg.

Yeah, it seems like sometimes the skull can be too vaulted and they don't make it to lockdown. I lost a black one a couple days ago with a super vaulted skull. :(
My egg hasn't made anymore progress. It's just hanging out with it's beak out but the rest of the body and face is still covered. It has been peeping on and off all morning. From what I can see so far (very little) it might be a splash! 

Do you play the chick music for it? I can find the link if you want. It makes mine go crazy after they pip! It's exciting to watch them respond to the sound.

Went to put my eggs into lockdown last night only to discover my incubator was off
1f628.png
. I immediately switched it back on and it got up to temperature quickly but it could have been off for up to 20 hours. I candles them and could still seeveins etc.. but no movement. I put them in anyway, what are the chances of my eggs still hatching? So dissapointed for this to happen at this late stage
1f61e.png

Oh no! I hope it turns out ok!!
Went to put my eggs into lockdown last night only to discover my incubator was off
1f628.png
. I immediately switched it back on and it got up to temperature quickly but it could have been off for up to 20 hours. I candles them and could still seeveins etc.. but no movement. I put them in anyway, what are the chances of my eggs still hatching? So dissapointed for this to happen at this late stage
1f61e.png

So, my chick hatched!!!! It's so cute! As it was zipping, I got a surprise....pink skin, four toes???? Now that it's dry, the head looks kind of silkieish and it's small so maybe a cross?? I got the eggs off ebay and the seller sent 3 extras so maybe the seller threw in 3 random extras?? Either way, i love it. Typing one-handed cuz new chick is cuddled in my other hand. :)

Several of my eggs have air cells like these too. Good luck! I'll cross my fingers for both of us!
So, I'm down to 7 eggs!! :eek:
Another one bit the dust yesterday! It's just so sad. But on the flip side, 4 of them have perfect circle air cells! So I laid them down on their sides. I'm wondering if the ones that died between days 10-12 died because they weren't turned enough?? Because it looks like the dead embryos are on the side of the egg. I don't know but I feel more comfortable hand turning the ones that have the good air cells to exercise and strengthen the chicks. The other 3 are still in the cartons because the air cells are going down the side of the egg.

Do you play the chick music for it? I can find the link if you want. It makes mine go crazy after they pip! It's exciting to watch them respond to the sound.

Back
Top Bottom