silkie hatching other hens eggs?

FluffTheDuck

Duck love is recognizable in any language
Nov 26, 2018
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
hi, a couple weeks ago my silkie got broody with her own egg, and i candled it today and found out it wasnt fertile at all 😭

shes still extremely broody, and i was wondering if i could let her hatch an easter eggers egg or is that dangerous to the chick? my silkies and regular chickens are apart from each other, and my lavender orpington rooster has mated multiple times with my easter eggers. id let the chick live with the regular chickens after they grow up.

hi, a couple weeks ago my silkie got broody with her own egg, and i candled it today and found out it wasnt fertile at all 😭

shes still extremely broody, and i was wondering if i could let her hatch an easter eggers egg or is that dangerous to the chick? my silkies and regular chickens are apart from each other, and my lavender orpington rooster has mated multiple times with my easter eggers. id let the chick live with the regular chickens after they grow up.
my experience is yes she can hatch other eggs i had a friend borrow her to hatch out some duck eggs ;)

Yes, but not now, if she's been sitting for a few weeks, she's pretty drained, she needs to rebuild her strength. Silkies are used to hatch all sorts of breeds, so don't take the chick away until the hen has 'weaned' it.

Back
Top Bottom